• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In denial and I know it. Feeling lost.

Hi all,

I am in denial about having this disease, do not take any medication to control it, and, because I've had virtually no symptoms for almost two years now, it's easy to maintain this state of denial.

I was diagnosed in May 2011 during the final exam season of a highly stressful and competitive graduate studies program in the UK (I'm an American). My symptoms, which were on the "mild" side of the spectrum (daily D, about 5 times per day, moderate stomach pain in one particular area, one instance of bleeding, fatigue, and mild anemia), had gone on for about two years but I remained undiagnosed because doctors told me things like "you're just stressed out about moving to a foreign country" or "it's irritable bowel syndrome, common in women of your age". One American doctor actually told me that my problem was drinking too much water.

Anyways, got diagnosed while living in a foreign country where I knew no one. Took the bus home after the diagnosis and the colonoscopy, nobody was there with me. I got really depressed, but started taking Pentasa and all of my symptoms vanished in 4 days. Then I moved to a third country for work, and stopped taking Pentasa (because it has to be imported and is difficult to get). I've had no symptoms since. This has led me to the probable delusion that I don't actually have Crohn's. All of my symptoms started when a psychiatrist put me on a very high dosage of Adderall to study for graduate school entry exams. Without the Adderall, it seems I don't have any Crohn's symptoms at all. So maybe I just can't handle high doses of that stuff?

Anyways, because I am in denial about all of this, have no symptoms, and also have alternative theories about why I was sick for those few years, I don't think about having Crohn's much at all. But sometimes, the reality hits me, and I feel hopeless and depressed. I know i'm supposed to "stay positive! :)" and all of that, but this is a disgusting label that makes me feel disgusting. I haven't had any of the confidence I used to have before I was diagnosed. I don't feel attractive anymore (in part because the Pentasa gave me severe acne for the first time in my life, and now I have scarring, where I used to have very clear skin).

Anyways, I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but I'm lost. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by not continuing with the Pentasa. There are no modern gastroenterologists where I live (again, I live in a developing country). Is it possible that I just had that single episode of illness due to the high dosage of Adderall (60mg, every day), and an extremely unhealthy lifestyle (the Adderall made it hard for me to sleep, so I would abuse red wine just so I could get some sleep, usually 1-2 hours a night).

Anyways, that's all. I just needed to vent to people who've maybe gone through some of the same questions (do i really have this disease? was it a one time thing? do i really need expensive medication if that's the case?) and confusion. None of my friends get it, and I'm many miles away from anyone I'm close to anyway.

thanks,

H

David

Co-Founder
Hi there Henrietta and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of everything you've been enduring, especially when disconnected from your support structure, you poor thing :( My heart goes out to you.

*hugs*

You mention having a colonoscopy and being told you had Crohn's disease right after it. Did they take biopsies that confirmed it as well? What country were you in when you had the colonoscopy done?

This is indeed one of the dangers of Crohn's disease though. You can be virtually symptom free yet still have some inflammation in your bowel that is slowly doing damage and causing scarring. And when the scarring finally gets back enough, that's when the real troubles start.

What you're experiencing is normal and understandable. You may want to give this thread a read.

We're here for you.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Henrietta, welcome to the forum. I can't add much to what David already said, but like him I am also curious as to specifically how you were diagnosed. Doctors don't easily hand out Crohn's diagnoses (believe me, I've been fighting for a diagnosis for years but am still technically undiagnosed) so it's unlikely that you were misdiagnosed or that your illness was a "one time thing" or anything like that unfortunately.

I hope that reading through the forum will give you some hope though. Yes, it is a crappy disease (pun intended) but a lot of us are able to live full, happy, meaningful lives in spite of it (or even because of it). Personally, being ill has made me fight so hard to be healthy, I have done things I never would have thought I could do and I'm now in the best shape of my life 3 years into my illness. So it's not all bad. Sometimes you have to be pushed past your limits to know what you're really capable of. Anyway, I'm babbling. Welcome, and I hope you can find some hope and acceptance here. For what it's worth, none of my friends "get it" either, but everyone here on the forum truly does. You're among friends here. :)

Hello and big thanks to both of you. It's so nice to receive some kindness and understanding, which sometimes seems to be in such short supply. David- I got all of the tests done in the UK, and had the biopsy. However, the results were, for me, very confusing. I thought that biopsy results were supposed to be crystal clear, but they told me that the biopsy indicated "probable Crohn's colitis". Anyways, I'm sure they were fairly confident that that's what it was.

My situation is fairly complicated because I live and work in a developing country and the medical care here is not up to the standards we are used to in the "West". But because I work abroad, I do not have health insurance in America. A bit of a tricky situation. Anyways, the next time i have an opportunity, I suppose I should just shell out to see a doctor, maybe when I'm visiting home. I'd like to redo the tests to see if the disease is still present and if so, if it has somehow spread or worsened despite my feeling more or less asymptomatic. I'm sure it'll cost a lot of money but I suppose it's worth it. Moving home just because I have Crohn's disease is not an option; I love my work, it's my dream and passion and I get to live a very exciting life. Of course if I become ill I'll have to reevaluate that, but because I am healthy at the moment I see no reason to abandon my current life.

Thank you for your encouragement and kindness. I agree that our struggles can help us grow and become even greater than we might have been without them.

Hugs to all!

PsychoJane

Hi Henrietta,
I don't have much time right away to right much but I want to keep an eye on the thread and add certain things later so I'm just writting this lil bit of info as of now.

Just to let you know you can look up for forum archives relatively to ritalin... I made the hypothesis that it may be linked to "increasing" the crohn or anyway IBD activity. I don't know if it can "cause" it, but I am pretty convinced it may worsen it. I had been in remission for 10 years, started ritalin and my crohn came back... Coincidence??? I don't know. But I am pretty positive it can contribute. Judith did post an article which was explaining that they had seen some increase of the tnf response with mouse exposed to metamphetamine if I'm not wrong. The post is somewhere on the forum, I will try to find it later and post the link, it may interest you.

Hi all,

I am in denial about having this disease, do not take any medication to control it, and, because I've had virtually no symptoms for almost two years now, it's easy to maintain this state of denial.

I was diagnosed in May 2011 during the final exam season of a highly stressful and competitive graduate studies program in the UK (I'm an American). My symptoms, which were on the "mild" side of the spectrum (daily D, about 5 times per day, moderate stomach pain in one particular area, one instance of bleeding, fatigue, and mild anemia), had gone on for about two years but I remained undiagnosed because doctors told me things like "you're just stressed out about moving to a foreign country" or "it's irritable bowel syndrome, common in women of your age". One American doctor actually told me that my problem was drinking too much water.

Anyways, got diagnosed while living in a foreign country where I knew no one. Took the bus home after the diagnosis and the colonoscopy, nobody was there with me. I got really depressed, but started taking Pentasa and all of my symptoms vanished in 4 days. Then I moved to a third country for work, and stopped taking Pentasa (because it has to be imported and is difficult to get). I've had no symptoms since. This has led me to the probable delusion that I don't actually have Crohn's. All of my symptoms started when a psychiatrist put me on a very high dosage of Adderall to study for graduate school entry exams. Without the Adderall, it seems I don't have any Crohn's symptoms at all. So maybe I just can't handle high doses of that stuff?

Anyways, because I am in denial about all of this, have no symptoms, and also have alternative theories about why I was sick for those few years, I don't think about having Crohn's much at all. But sometimes, the reality hits me, and I feel hopeless and depressed. I know i'm supposed to "stay positive! :)" and all of that, but this is a disgusting label that makes me feel disgusting. I haven't had any of the confidence I used to have before I was diagnosed. I don't feel attractive anymore (in part because the Pentasa gave me severe acne for the first time in my life, and now I have scarring, where I used to have very clear skin).

Anyways, I don't know what I'm trying to say here, but I'm lost. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by not continuing with the Pentasa. There are no modern gastroenterologists where I live (again, I live in a developing country). Is it possible that I just had that single episode of illness due to the high dosage of Adderall (60mg, every day), and an extremely unhealthy lifestyle (the Adderall made it hard for me to sleep, so I would abuse red wine just so I could get some sleep, usually 1-2 hours a night).

Anyways, that's all. I just needed to vent to people who've maybe gone through some of the same questions (do i really have this disease? was it a one time thing? do i really need expensive medication if that's the case?) and confusion. None of my friends get it, and I'm many miles away from anyone I'm close to anyway.

thanks,

H
Rejoice in being symptom free. Read about the hell others have gone through and are going through right now and it will stir up gratitude that you are not sick. You may have been misdiagnosed as the adderral ( pharmaceutical amphetamine) could have caused temporary colitis which would look the same as IBD. Only way to know is to get another colonoscopy AND regular bloodwork for inflammatory markers and compare With original diagnosis. Trust
ME I've been been in denial and depressed and most of the time was when I was was sick and in hell so when Im healthy I thank my lucky stars. Take lots Of vitamin D and magnesium!!! Peace

PS I don't think you are in denial. You have no symptoms and no follow up biopsies or 2nd opinions. It could have been stress and side affect of amphetamine for ADD. I would try to avoid worrying about it and just schedule a follow up when you get back stateside.

Judith

Crohnsforum Science Advisor
Henrietta,
I hope your health situation improves. :)
There have been some links to Adderall / Ritalin / Amphetamine - type medications exacerbating Crohn's symptoms. I have put the links below:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28728

and

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=41923

Stress is another big trigger for Crohn's flares. It is impossible to avoid stressful times while attending university. In the US, you can register with Disability Support Services through your college. They can give you extended time for exams, projects, and note taking help as well (for the times when you cannot attend class because you are too ill). I do not know what the resources are where you are currently living. Can anyone else help with this? Thank you so much in advance for that information. :)

Best of luck with your studies and I hope your health improves soon.