• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In My Mother's Footsteps . . .

I grew up knowing my mother was ill. Some of my earliest memories were being read to on the couch where she would nap because she lacked, at times, the energy to do more. Several surgeries were required over the years, but not all due directly to her ulcerative colitis. Early on in her treatment, her kidneys failed as a side effect of Asacol and the negligence of her medical team. Though it wasn't something my parents would talk about to us, I learned later that she wasn't expected to live long on hemodialysis; if it wasn't for the grace of my father being a close match for the kidney transplant she received six years ago, I wouldn't have her here now.

Last December, we both received the same diagnoses: Crohn's. Her ulcerative colitis had been misdiagnosed. Celiac disease wasn't the only cause of my rampant digestive troubles. In some ways, it's helpful to have a veteran of this Thing to talk to and compare treatment plans with. Then again, I feel the oppressive inevitability of what the future holds. Last week was my first hospitalization related to the Thing - Imuran-induced pancreatitis. I'm 24. Family always said that I was blessed with good genes - the kind that made Maths a breeze and turned the occasional head. The genes that mattered, however, have shown to be quite the different story. When I'm really in a piss-poor mood, I can rattle them off to myself - stupid eczema, stupid erythema nodosum, stupid depression, stupid Celiac, and now goddamn-stupid-bloody Crohn's. At least they can now fit neatly under one auto-immune header. Oddly comforting to an odd mind. Or perhaps the kind of odd comfort you get after seizing upon a concrete diagnosis after years of searching.

As you might've deduced, the above wasn't written in the best state of mind. Just a tad blue about the whole matter. My sense of humor is alive and well, just a bit busy fighting off those personal demons. I'm sure it will show up eventually to poke some darkly inappropriate humor at precisely the wrong moment.

Pleasure to meet you all, and much thanks to the forum in general for providing a lot of beneficial information thus far.

-K

David

Co-Founder
Hiya K and welcome to the forum :)

I'm sorry to hear about the pancreatitis, I hope you're doing better now.

Since you mentioned depression, I have to ask my usual question of: have you had your vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels tested? I ask because people with Crohn's Disease are commonly deficient in those vitamins and low levels can lead to depression.

Again, welcome to the forum. We're glad you found your way here. And please inject that humor anytime :)

The last time I had my B12 tested was about 2 years ago, with a 'low normal' result. Before the hospital trip, I was taking a multivitamin, B12, and vit D supplements. I have been feeling better overall in that arena excluding the last couple weeks. No doubt that that was part of the problem, and it's just an occasional happening now - mostly when feeling crap or letting the thoughts delve too deeply.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

David

Co-Founder
Feel free to ignore me if this isn't something you feel like talking about right now. I just find that some of these vitamins and minerals are absolutely vital for people with IBD to stay on top of. How many IUs of vitamin D are/were you taking and how many mcg of vitamin B12? Often if someone with Crohn's Disease is deficient in either of these they need to take far more than they realize to attain ideal levels.

Hi K. Just wanted to add my welcome and say how much I enjoyed reading your post :) if that's you when you're feeling low, hope you feel brighter soon and come back and post some more!
Sounds like the pieces of your medical jigsaw have come together. Like you say, a mixed blessing. Hopefully we can help you get your head around you and your Mum's diagnosis.

*shakes head* It can be miserable can't it? I think it's okay to admit to that now and again. The old sense of humor will pop back up once you're feeling better.

In my family we have ulceritive colitis and Crohn's. I have the Crohn's along with several nephews, and my daughter has the colitis along with several nieces. I hate the pesky red/painful nodes that pop up now and again. And the mouth ulcers are miserable.

All that said, I'm damn happy to be alive, but it goes without saying, I'll be happier once I'm out of this flare.:dance::dance: