• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In remission and overweight.

My Daughter is still on remission, thanks God. Doing great at College and enjoying her life. As you may know my kids don't follow the usual symptoms and effects of Crohn's. Now my daughter is battling overweight and high cholesterol and triglycerides. It surprises me because I try to feed them healthy foods.(I guess I am not doing good enough) On the other hand my son is still loosing weight and he eats like crazy. She needs to loose 10 lbs in 6 months, He needs to gain at least 7. Overall, things are good in here.

I always had issues with weight for a long time following my diagnosis in that I was about 20-25lbs below my ideal weight. Now I am definitely not overweight at 170lb and 5 11, but with growing age and in remission I realize how important sport is for weight control.

Is she doing any endurance sport (anything that makes you sweat and is done 3 times per week?). Endurance sport also helps with keeping in remission according to some studies.

She was so busy and tired in her senior year that exercising was out of the question. Good thing she has to walk a lot at campus now. Will be starting to go to gym next week. No more...I am saving these pounds for my next flare up. LOL.

my little penguin

Staff member
Some have hereditary issues with cholesterol and triglycerides regardless of diet /weight.
It just how their bodies work .
I hope walking helps .
Maybe activities like walking as a family as night or the weekend even 15 minutes a day helps .

DD also had trouble with her weight in remission last year, although she is a bit younger. Her pediatrician recommended keeping active-she isn't super athletic, so we try to walk a lot and she really enjoys swimming. Small changes (such as only drinking water instead of other drinks) also have helped us. Glad that she is in remission, but there's always something to worry about, eh? :)

It's a little thing, but the kids have me a pedometer for my last birthday and I have to admit I was surprised at how much it motivated me. 8000 steps every day, minimum. Of course, something more intense than walking will help, but starting with a pedometer might be a step in the right direction.

Also, Im trying to lose 10lbs and met with a trainer/nutritionist. In one meeting they gave me a workout plan and got me tracking food in My Fitness Pal. It's been fascinating! Sounds a bit geeky, I know, but it really helps me to see how exercise impacts calorie allowance and such. A nutritionist can also tell her how many calories she should be getting, how much protein, carbs, etc. and she can track it all in My Fitness Pal. Each day it analyzes what you ate and how active you were to tell you how long before you reach your goal.

Weight Watchers is great for Crohnie's. It doesn't dictate what you can it.

I've used it successfully 3 times; I lost 30 lbs before my first pregnancy, 70lbs after that pregnancy and 50lbs after the 2nd pregnancy. Now I have the energy to exercise and keep it off.