• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In so much painšŸ˜­

Hi anyone with any relief suggestions please share! I have received 3 infusions of Remicade. Muscle and joint pain began a couple days after my first infusion. After my second infusion the pain continued to worsen I spoke to my GI and he ordered hydrocortisone to be added my infusions. After the 3 rd infusion with the hydrocortisone the pain lessened in its severity, but never left, 3 days ago my left knee began to hurt terribly pain will not let me sleep... today my right and left thigh is hurting so much I am not able to even stand without help as this day progresses I continue to get worse my right wrist and both shoulders are now in intense pain! I am afraid.... I took a oxycodone and it has not even touched the pain intensityšŸ˜©
I have had 4 children with not even a aspirin to help with pain, this is the worst I have ever hurt. I am due for another infusion on the 28th but I can't wrap my head around enduring this pain for the rest of my life!
Please if anyone has any suggestions share.

my little penguin

Staff member
Muscle and joint pain is common when Crohns is flaring and sometimes when it isn't flaring
Please try to see a rheumatologist
Spondyloarthritis is quite common with Crohns
Only a rheumo can help with that one

Tagging Maya142

Enteropathic arthritis, or EnA, is a form of chronic, inflammatory arthritis associated with the occurrence of an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), the two best-known types of which are ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease. About one in five people with Crohn's or ulcerative colitis will develop enteropathic arthritis.
The most common areas affected by EnA are the peripheral (limb) joints and, in some cases, the entire spine can become involved, as well. Abdominal pain and, possibly, bloody diarrhea associated with IBD are also components of the disease.

From

http://www.spondylitis.org/Enteropathic-Arthritis

Maya142

Staff member
It is definitely worth seeing a rheumatologist. Joint pain is common with Crohn's and some people also have a specific type of arthritis, Spondyloarthritis, which is associated with Crohn's. Symptoms are usually morning stiffness, pain that gets better with movement and worse with rest, lower back pain, hip pain, swollen or red joints etc. Really any joint can be involved but SI joints, hips, knees, heels and ankles are often involved.

The other thing it could be is drug-induced Lupus. That can cause severe fatigue, muscle pain and joint pain and inflammation.

You need to see a rheumatologist for both conditions.

Good luck!