• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Incessant Gurgling and Weird BMs

Hi all,

I have a couple of weird symptoms to share and see if anyone else has them and what they could mean!

For the past couple of weeks I have been experiencing this annoying a persistant gurgling that tends to start late evening and go all through the night. There is no pain with it, just very loud rumblings, kinda like when you are really hungry and your stomach does it's thing, but further down and actually all over the place!

As I said, it doesn't hurt at all, but I guess any new symptom is something to be aware of as it could indicate something going on! It is also annoying because it is so loud that it wakes me through the night. I don't think it's gas as such because don't have any gas coming out the other end!

Also, now this is a poo description, so be warned, I have noticed recently that sometimes my BMs are very strange looking kinda with darkish bits held together with really light coloured bits a bit like brickwork. It's all still coming out regularly each morning, but I was certainly surprised the first time I had them looking like that!!

I was also wondering if anyone has ideas on how you can tell if you are 'inflamed' if you don't have any major symptoms? This may sound strange, but as I am tapering off the pred I have noticed that while everything is still moving along in what I would consider a normal fashion and I don't really have any pain as such, apart from the odd 'ache' in the same spot on my right hip I had when I had the fevers, I kinda FEEL like things may be inflamed. Hard to describe, just a general feeling of things not quite right down there.

I am still getting used to all this and it is hard not to worry as it seems that the only time the docs will take any notice of you is if you are REALLY sick as opposed to catching things before they get that far!

Any insights on this would be appreciated.

ta
Shaz

Last edited:
I get gurgling all the time, sometimes with pain and sometimes without. Really loud too, it can be very embarassing when I'm doing a massage or facial at work and my tummy is growling and blabbering on, haha.

I'm proud of my GUT noise. It always seems to happen in church during a quiet time. I just keep smiling....my doctor says that it's a good thing. Look at the alternative for me, I could be partially blocked, hoping and praying for bowel sounds.

I am pretty much a type A personality and love to talk with people. However, I detest walking into a crowded room by myself. Or have to get up and go to the restroom, when everyone there knows why I'm going. So, I will stay away from the group gathering at church (we're having a group dinner) because of that reason. Sounds so lame of me!

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
ha mine does it only at night and with no pain to, when its all quiet like i was watching a movie for some friends and when there was a quiet suspencful moment crohnie let out a huge gurggle and they all jumped! ha it was sooo funny, but when it does it i just say crohnie is putting in his 2 cents lol!

ps if you ever figure out wat it means lemme no! XD

I too get that gurgling/rumbling/squeaking which seems to be coming from my colon, and often with pain on the right side. It's really loud and I find it embarrassing. Usually it happens late in the day and then the next morning I pass a lot of mucus and have rectal pain. I've found that taking an antispasmodic with atropine in it helps to calm things down. With me it lasts for a few days or a couple of weeks, then I don't have it for several weeks. I think what triggers it in my case is stress.

I constantly have that as well,all night long most nights..I used to be embarrassed now I think it's hilarious...Mostly it gets worse when I lie on my back..so maybe you could try sleeping on your side or tummy?Just tossing things out there..

Yup, definately worse when i lie on my back! It's nto so bad initself, I was just a bit concerned as it is a new development and I hoped it wasn;t a bad sign. There is no pain with it or anything and it seems to be coming mostly from my colon which is NOT inflamed - very weird!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
That's the Crohn's Alien trying to get out.
Seriously, mine is less vocal since I had surgery. I'm guessing it has to do with the interior narrowing of the bowel and normal peristalsis of the gut as it moves it's contents down the drain so to speak.

It's more prevalent in IBD because of the food/waste being less whole and watery...the sounds are actually echos in the bowels as peristalsis moves food through, and the more open space you have (because you're moving watery food/diarrhea instead of "logs" and "chunks", lol) the more room the echo has to reverberate...my GI answered this one a long while back. Everyone's gut actually makes noise, but it's exaggerated with Crohn's/IBD/diarrhea because there's more room for the noises to echo.

As for the timing, also simple. :) The food is down there later in the day and overnight because that's when the bulk of your eating is processing down there, in the evening and into the night. It's a cyclic event, x hours after eating during the peak of the day...and the majority of circumstance is timed with your mid-day eating so that it is down there dependent on when you initially ate that food...it would be reverse if you were to move all your eating into the middle of the night.

Mine can makes these noises too, it would wake me up making exactly the same noise with the same space of time inbetween, no stopping it!!
It was especially when I used to drink normal, full of lactose milk. It would be so bad that my body shook with it!! I only have lactose free milk and it's nowhere near as bad!

My Crohns was pretty much one big bowel noise 24hrs day for a couple of looooong years accompanied by incredible pain and D. It got to the point of diagnosis and i was pretty much rushed into surgery.

It turns out the bowel noise with pain and evident inflammation was caused by strictures within the bowel. The diseased part of bowel was narrowing and towards the end was no wider than a pencil width. Think about all that waste in the bowel trying to force its way through a small hole, it's pretty obvious the pain and subsequent noise it's going to create.

This was the case in my situation anyway. I was lucky i didn't end up with a perforated/ruptured bowel so if you get these noises accompanied by harsh pain then i'd mention it to your DOC just to be sure your not developing an obstruction.

I don't have mucous and don't have pain and don't have D either! The gurgling is only recent and i wondered if it may actually be a HEALING thing as I was blocked before and now, with treatment, everything is moving nicely and regularly. It is just annoying more than anything and actually has lessened a lot in the past couple of days.

I shouldn't complain as I'd rather have the gurgles than all of the other nasty symptoms!

My innards make a lot of noises, this also happens later at night or worse at night with tons of nausea!! Sometimes there is pain but I'm not sure it's related to the gurgling or not. I also do not have D. The nurse asked me if I had gurgling but did not say what causes it. I assume it's a crohn's thing. I have bouts of this gurgling on two weeks off two weeks or close to that pattern. I find that if I massage my stomach lightly it it help to ease things up. Do you get any pains under your rib cage by chance?

Hi there, I don;t seem to gte any sensations at all with the gurgling. It seems to have abated the past few days to nearly nothing and today i do have a kind of 'sticth' in the side feeling up under my left ribcage but this is new and seems to move around to different spots and come and go. It's nowhere near my affected area at all, which itself feels great, so I am hoping it is all nothing to worry about.

I have REALLY loud gurgling plus nausea and pain. I also have mucous with my BMs whether it's D or not. But I also get that checker-board weird colored BMs as well. Mostly that gurgling makes me nauseous. I have no idea what it's from. But the explanation that the gentleman above provided sounded good. :)