• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Increase in thirst

Hello everyone,

So I had ileostomy surgery in march 2013 after a colon perf. Ever since then I've been thirsty all the time. There are days I can literally drink a gallon of water and still be thirsty. I know it has to do with the body not being able to absorb liquids through what is left of the colon...seeing as it is not attached to anything functioning right now.

Is there anything I can do to help with this besides just keeping hydrated and taking in fluids almost on a constant basis?

Trysha

Staff member
Have you informed your doctors about your thirst.?
They should really know about it soon,since there are some tests they may want to run by you.
Have you recently had lab work such as blood sugars, liver function test---that sort of thing.
I would suggest you get in touch with your doctors very soon.
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

I made my doctors aware of it and they did blood work about a month ago. They told me that everything looked good, said to increase my fluid intake as needed. There is only so much you can drink

Trysha

Staff member
It is good that your docs know about it, but I think you should be in touch with them again to let them know it is no better.
There must be a solution somewhere.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha