• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Increasing Imuran dosage at same time as Remicade infusion?

I started Imuran and Remicade at the same time. On Monday Aug. 31st, I am getting my second Remicade infusion, and was also advised to increase my Imuran to 2 pills per day instead of 1, on the same day that I am getting Remicade. Does this seem "safe" as far as potential side-effects? I was also advised to get blood work before increasing my Imuran. Is that normally how it's done?

The nurse told me to never increase Imuran on a Friday or weekend in case I get sick and need to call her (wouldn't I just go to the hospital?)

These drugs are scary.

That is pretty normal as is blood work before an increase. Pretty standard so they know you aren't having issues with the Imuran before you increase the dose. I have never heard of the not starting on Friday. Indeed if something did happen and you couldn't get a hold of your doc then going to hospital would be the next step.