• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Indigestion and prednisolone

I'm in my first flare up since my initial diagnosis last year, and back on steroids, just come to the end of the second week on them, another six to go.
I remember last year suffering severe indigestion whilst on them, and it's the same this time, the only difference being I'm already taking lansaprazole which is what my GP prescribed last year and which sorted it out, I've never stopped taking it since.
I've been trying to do everything right and help myself...not eating after 6pm, eating non acidic food, eating smaller meals...but this is waking me up about 4am every morning. I take the steroids in the morning after something to eat so the timing seems odd.
Before I take myself off to the GP again, I wondered if anyone else suffers like this on steroids, and have they found a solution.
Thank you.
Bunty x

The timing may be due to the fact you've been lying down for a while by four in the morning, so without gravity to help keep the acid down, that's when it comes back upwards in your digestive system. You probably know, that's the reason some people are helped by not eating late in the evening, but I think it's poosible that in your case the reflux is carrying on for a longer time period through the night.

There are a number of different medications for indigestion/reflux, so it's worth asking your doctor for an alternative to lansoprazole, e.g. ranitidine. But in the mean time, if you're not doing it already, try sleeping with your body in a more upright position, and apparently lying on your left side may help too: http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...esigned-body-pillow-prevent-your-acid-reflux/

scottsma

Hi Bunty, I took a Zantac,one a day,an hour before bed,with some warm milk.I also took the pred.between 5 and 6 in the morning.It's worth putting the alarm on,if you have to.It also helped a great deal with the insomnia side effect.

Thank you both for your suggestions.
I do have some ranitidine tablets so I think I'll take one of those at bedtime and see if that helps. I always have a glug of gaviscon as I believe I have a hiatus hernia and the gaviscon has really helped with that, I don't suppose a ranitidine would hurt too.
I feel like a blooming chemist shop these days...lansaprazole first thing, an hour later a bite to eat (never been a breakfast eater so that in itself is something of a problem) and the rest of the daily meds including the pred, dinner in the evening followed by more fortified calcium, then the bedtime stuff.
The good thing is I had the last of the six B12 loading jabs this morning, no more of them for three months...yay!
Thanks again ladies, much appreciated 😊
Bunty x

Sooo, I took one 75 mg ranitidine night before last and still woke with indigestion in the early hours.
Last night I upped it to 150mg, took an extra spoonful of gaviscon, and added an extra pillow...and guess what? It worked! I still woke relatively early but not a sign of indigestion. Fingers crossed it wasn't a one off and continues to work.
Just updating in case anyone else is suffering and this may help 😊
Bunty x

I've just been to see my GP regarding the indigestion, and the piles.
She's prescribed 300mg ranitidine pills and recommended I call the IBD nurse for some advice, which I've done, just waiting for a call back.
She was a little concerned though and is getting in contact with my consultant as she feels it may warrant a gastroscope even though I have a barium swallow follow through on 5th August which would probably show any problems up.
As for the piles, yes, I have an internal and external one, for which she's given me some prescription only cream and suppositories which she says will settle it down. My concern was that I didn't know if its the crohns or the piles causing the bleeding, getting rid of the piles will prove it one way or another I guess.
I hesitate to go to the GP usually, but having come away today feeling she was very understanding and helpful, I won't hesitate in future and am sorry I didn't go sooner.
Bunty x

Glad your doctor was helpful. I also had a good GP appointment this morning; I'd been worrying about it, thinking I'd be embarrassed or end up arguing with her, but I judged her unfairly. I think a gastroscopy can give a more detailed view that a barium test, and biopsies can be taken with the scope, so it may be worth having it. I hope your IBD nurse is helpful too.

I'm glad you had a good appointment too UnXmas😊
I always worry when I'm sat in the waiting room, I'm not quite sure why as all the doctors at our surgery are really nice, just one of those things... No wonder my blood pressure is high when the doctor takes it, white coat syndrome I think 😏
I think I've been putting off the evil moment for a gastroscopy for a number of years, time to be brave and just get it done.
Bunty x

A gastroscopy isn't that bad, they may give you the option of sedation. I had one with sedation, I have no memory of it whatsoever, one minute they were giving me the sedation, I blinked and was waking up and it was done. I had one without any sedation, it was uncomfortable but not painful. Not all that different from seeing a dentist, if you don't mind people sticking things in your mouth it's ok; they numb your throat so you can't feel much beyond your mouth, you just gag a little bit.