• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infected fistula with seton?

Has anybody had an infection with a seton in? I have had a seton for a few years, but the last couple of days I thought I was getting an abscess around the opening because it was swollen and sore. I went to the ER to get it checked and they said they it didn't look like an abscess but was probably an infection, and they gave me antibiotics. I didn't think the tract could really get infected with a seton in, so I'm a bit confused. I'm seeing another doctor next week just to get it checked (just saw the on-call guy today), but I was wondering if this is normal.

Hi Echo
This is an issue that i have dealt with many times since getting my seton put in Sept 2011. For me the fistula has started making new tracks several times and needed to be re-drained three times after the seton was put in. It would "back up" and re-infect if you know what I mean. The last time they drained it they enlarged the track and scraped it out. It has not needed to be drained again since.

Throughout the time since the initial seton placement it would get swollen and angry enough to periodically spend a bit of time on antibiotics. Sitz baths and heating pads helped with the pain.

If you get a fever or the drainage stops it would be a good idea to have it checked out again.