• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infected toe, do I need to worry?

I have an infected big toe, (swelling on the side of my nail) which I am 99% sure is an ingrown toenail and nothing to do with meds or anything, as I have had this exact same thing before.

I am soaking in hot water 3x/day,(started yesterday) hasn't started to drain yet. Pretty sore!

I just thought I'd make sure that I don't have to have it seen or anything, just treat it like I did before, when eventually the soaking led to draining and I was able to clean it out.

I take Remicade and Imuran.

Ive had an in grown toenail in my right foot. I had to have half the nail taken out because of repeated infections in it. if its very sore it might be worth getting it checked. being on remicade and Imuran would increase the chances of it getting worse and slow healing so yes I reckon you should go to the docs.
ju

It feels a bit better today, but there is still swelling. I think as long as it doesn't get worse, I'll keep soaking and hold off on Dr. It is also my right foot..lol

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have had this happen on and off with no issues - HOWEVER - if you see any pus/drainage I would give the doc a call....sounds like it is starting to resolve itself though. Good luck!

I had a very badly infected big toe from an ingrown toe nail. I went to the Dr's a few times and they suggested a few things to try but it didn't make much difference in the end I had the toe nail removed this was all whilst I was having remicade. So I would say like others have if it gets worse to to the Dr's and see if they can get it sorted for you. Mine healed fine and I have had no further problems since having it removed.

It feels a bit better today, but there is still swelling. I think as long as it doesn't get worse, I'll keep soaking and hold off on Dr. It is also my right foot..lol
ah that's good. I had mine when I was a teenager and I wasn't on remicade so different story. sore as hell though.
ju

Ugh... I ALWAYS get infected/sore/inflamed toes. I've got a system down and it seems to work. (I haven't had to use antibiotics for a long time because of my toes!)

1) Soak your feet in water mixed with Epsom salt 3x or more a day. Use a lot of the salt, it helps sanitize, reduce inflammation, and sooth skin. You can buy it almost anywhere, check in the pharmacy department
2) Dry your feet after soaking
3) Don't wear socks, let your toes breath
4) At night, but a little polysporin on a bandage and cover your toe
5) Repeat for several days. And after your infection/sore toe gets better, continue to soak you foot in the salts about once a day to prevent further problems!

And when you cut your toenails, don't cut them short and leave the corners long. It may not look the prettiest but it helps. And after soaking you can CAREFULLY pull up the corner of your toe nails to help the nail from embedding into the skin