• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inflamed appendix

After a recent MRI it shows my appendix is chronically inflamed. My doctor doesn't want to take it out as a significant part of my bowel would have to be removed with it as you need a healthy part of the bowel to cut it off at for it to heal. There is a risk either way, my choices are to leave it in and hope it doesn't rupture, have it removed but that means having a significant part of my large bowel removed or risk it rupturing and having to have it and part of my bowel removed anyway. If it ruptures it's life threatening.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of anything you can do to help your appendix? I can't find much online, everything says you don't need your appendix just take it out but that's not an easy option right now.

I've only been recently diagnosed with crohns so have only been on meds for a few weeks. I guess the doctor is hoping that the inflammation of my bowel will decrease then we may be able to remove the appendix then.

That's a hard one they took my appendix in the same surgery for Crohn's in the eighty's they knew my appendix were inflamed and found the blockage try the Meds before surgery. Good luck hope everything works out.
I think is was that combination of Meds that gave me an almost 6 years of remission but now I just gotten out out of the hospital with a flare up have to in at 730 in the the morning for test before Remicade.