• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inflammation/boil/weird stuff in throat

Hey,

I have no idea if it is crohn's related but a little freaked out.

So i had a tonsillectomy on the 26th of sept as I was having to many infections(1 per month nothing would help and antibiotic killed my stomach). So went ahead with the operation. On the 12th of oct i got my crohn's diagnosis.

Thing is now my tonsils have healed but i seem to still be getting like a huge huge boil(for want of a better term its huge white and pus filled) on where my tonsils used to be. My throat hurts, my ear is completely shot and I'm starting with a slight cold. I'm not in my home town my ENT and GI both are there cant leave and run home because i will be going home on the 2nd of nov. As i cant miss any more classes i have already missed quite a bit and am going to miss more when i go back home(the GI wants to start me on steroids) so I'm scared of missing more as i may end up losing my year.

Im not on any meds currently apart for Mesacol(Mesalamine/Asacol?) and the usual probiotics and multivits. I have no idea if its crohns related but now any kind of boil lump ulcer or anything weird my body does seems crohn's related..

Does anyone have any clue what this might be or what i should do?

Thanks in advance

afidz

Super Moderator
I would definitely bring this up with your GI. Try to take pictures of it and email them to him. He might want to prescribe something over the phone for the time being when you can be seen in person. You can also get Crohn's in your throat. Or it could be an extra intestinal manifestation. OR nothing Crohn's related at all. But better to cover your bases and let your GI know.

Yea spoke to my GI he asked me to talk to an ENT. So visited a local ent doc. Its mostly a post operative blood clot is what he told me, he has written pus filled granulation. He refuses to touch it as he is scared it will bleed. As usual my GI is not available so don't know if i'm allowed to take the antibiotics prescribed it killed me last time. in the mean time i have to be careful and make sure it doesn't burst and start bleeding, i dont get a fever and i dont start throwing up. Thanks my my crohn's i anyways have a fever every evening how am i ever going to differentiate!!! :confused2:

So to add to the agony of my already aching guts i now have a sore throat and ear ache and i need to prepare for more pain with antibiotics.

Ack life will not give me a break it seems.:angry-banghead:

PsychoJane

It really depends of which antibiotic are prescribed. I would assume that Ciproflaxone(Cipro), which is an antibiotic that is used in the treatment of CD (and pretty much all kind of infections), could maybe be beneficial.

What antibiotic did this ent doc prescribed you?

Its something called sultamicillin. I've read somewhere that its also used in IBD treatment. But I've had it before and it hasn't agreed well with me that's where my fear comes from.
But my GI didn't have a problem with the meds. The infection needs to clear up fast before it escalates. So I'm going with it and I'm praying that my stomach doesn't give up on me.