• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inflammatory polyp-- causes?

I have been living for years with an undiagnosed illness that includes diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, weight loss and lots of fatigue. Previous tests have revealed little of interest to doctors, and I've been given an IBS label, though I've never quite felt that fits.

Fast-forward to the end of April when I had a bout of very severe abdominal pain, diarrhea and then just started passing blood. That amount of blood was a new symptom for me so I went to the ER. They gave me pain meds, IV fluids and sent me to the GI. I had another colonoscopy last week.

There was no evidence of overt inflammation, except that the doctor removed what he believes to be an inflammatory polyp. He sent the polyp and a couple of biopsies to pathology, and I'm still waiting on results.

In the meantime, I have of course been googling, and everything I can find about inflammatory polyps indicates they are primarily found in Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis. I can't find any instance of other causes. Do you know of other causes of inflammatory polyps? Can just an inflammatory polyp (plus a history of symptoms) be indicative of IBD?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well, now I'm really confused and frustrated. I got something in the mail today from the GI regarding the colonoscopy and called for clarification. The nurse or med. assistant said that the polyp is listed as hyperplastic. So...I didn't have an inflammatory polyp? Back to square one. I'll post my whole story sometime soon in the Undiagnosed Club.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Ask to speak directly to your GI for clarification. He is the one who should be going over the details of your report to you and any diagnosis he may have for you anyway.

I will move your thread to the Undiagnosed Forum and see if anyone has any input for you over there. :hug:

I hope you are able to find something out soon! In the meantime take very good care of yourself.

Thanks, CrohnsChicago. I asked to speak with my GI and was told he will call me or his nurse will call me to schedule a follow-up appointment. I like the GI himself, but trying to get through to anyone at the office is never an easy process.