• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inflectra

My husband ( age 66) has Crohn's and the doctor would like to have him start Inflectra. Is anyone else on Inflectra that I could ask a few questions for him? We really would like to know if you can lead a somewhat normal life. Constant trips to the bathroom is frustrating today the least. Thank you

I am currently on Prednisone but my doctor would like me to begin Inflectra as well to try to get me into full endoscopic remission rather than just the clinical remission I could see through steroids, which can only be used short term. I have had Crohn's since 1990 but never struggled with it as I am doing today, having gone through decade+ long periods of remission. The last time I was medicated for the disease bio drugs were only on the horizon.

I have read a fair amount on the internet and see a range of stories from people who live life to their fullest and those who struggle with this treatment - and I honestly don't know if it's the medication - I think the attitude you bring with any form of treatment plays a big role in your success. I am not saying there are not chances of side effects, but that is true of anything. Being able to not rely on a nearby washroom and leaving behind a nasty smell each time is not a high quality of life, so I hope your husband sees improvement soon.

I am currently on Prednisone but my doctor would like me to begin Inflectra as well to try to get me into full endoscopic remission rather than just the clinical remission I could see through steroids, which can only be used short term. I have had Crohn's since 1990 but never struggled with it as I am doing today, having gone through decade+ long periods of remission. The last time I was medicated for the disease bio drugs were only on the horizon.

I have read a fair amount on the internet and see a range of stories from people who live life to their fullest and those who struggle with this treatment - and I honestly don't know if it's the medication - I think the attitude you bring with any form of treatment plays a big role in your success. I am not saying there are not chances of side effects, but that is true of anything. Being able to not rely on a nearby washroom and leaving behind a nasty smell each time is not a high quality of life, so I hope your husband sees improvement soon.
So thankful for your response. After a lot of searching for information on the internet as well, and his dependence on the bathroom, he has decided to receive the inflectra. I am hopeful it will help also.

my little penguin

Staff member
My kiddo started remicade (different biosimilar of inflectra) at age 8
He was dx with crohns at age 7
He is now 19
Although the biologics have changed over the years (humira then Stelara now )
Biologics were priceless on this house
They let him be a kid and now a teenager you adult
So worth trying imo
Good luck

My kiddo started remicade (different biosimilar of inflectra) at age 8
He was dx with crohns at age 7
He is now 19
Although the biologics have changed over the years (humira then Stelara now )
Biologics were priceless on this house
They let him be a kid and now a teenager you adult
So worth trying imo
Good luck
Thank you so much. My husband is received his first dose Thursday. So far, so good

I was DX Crohns and was started on Remicade, which was starting to work nicely. Then the insurance decided that they were not going to pay for that and made me switch to the generic inflexamib. It did NOT work as well and just as my doc and I were discussing options, the insurance decided to force me on to Inflectra. At 10mg/Kg every 6 weeks, 9 months later, doc has declared that I am currently in "remission" i just wish I felt like I was. I saw a significant improvement in my CD under Inflectra, and I was actually very hesitant to switch to it.

On another note, I just received a letter from the jack-wagons at the insurance, they now say that they are not going to pay for the inflectra, until I have "tried and failed" other medications, such as, Humira, Skyrizi, or Stelara. I really hate insurance companies sometimes!

Shalom U'Varecha | Peace and Blessings,
Jason
Conroe, Texas, USA

I am so sorry to hear about the insurance. Insurance companies don't understand the problems you go through with Crohn's. My husband has had his second inflectra infusion and it's going well. I hope he doesn't have insurance problems. Insurance companies just don't make sense. They give no thought to what switching medications can do to your body.

I am so sorry to hear about the insurance. Insurance companies don't understand the problems you go through with Crohn's. My husband has had his second inflectra infusion and it's going well. I hope he doesn't have insurance problems. Insurance companies just don't make sense. They give no thought to what switching medications can do to your body.
It's All about $ to the insurance companies. I'm finally on Stelara but we had a huge battle with the insurance company before they approved it.

Update: After talking to my doctor and my asking for the name of the medical professional at the insurance company that has treated me and that made the medical decision about my treatment, they decided NOT to remove me from my Inflectra treatments. Funny when they couldn't provide me the name and me providing the name of my attorney and the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners investigator that I talked to, they changed their tune pretty damn quickly. LOL

Shalom U'Varecha | Peace and Blessings
JB