• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infliximab (Remicade) & sun exposure???

Hello : ) My IBD Nurse & various consultants / friends with IBD have always mentioned the higher risk of skin cancer if taking Azathiroprine. However, I'm only on Infliximab (Remicade) & they've never said anything about Infliximab being a problem in the sun...until now!! My IBD Nurse has just told me (after 2 years of being on it) about sensitivity to the sun on Infliximab. I asked why they had never told me before & she says that they are being cautious because there is only a 16 year research history with Infliximab whereas Azathiroprine has now been around for 50 years. What do people know about this out there please? I'm not a sun worshipper at all, in fact I'm a bit paranoid & have been low in Vit D but I'm about to go on holiday to Cuba for a family wedding eeeak!

kiny

UV light exposure causes TNF-alpha to be released, it's been known for over 20 years. It's normal that if you block TNF-alpha you might interfere with the ability of the skin to repair itself after UV radiation.

Best is to limit sun exposure, or to use lots of sun block.

Embrace your paleness.

I am on humira and Imuran, I wear 60spf, hat and stay in the shade as much as I can and haven't had a sun burn or much of even a tan in years, seems to work go me.

Lady Organic

Staff member
moreover the sun has become so intense in the recent years. When I was young and careless (10 years ago), i didnt use sunscreens and I would do the pancake on the beach of Cuba when I was with purinethol. Now I try to avoid the sun as much as possible and I hate using commercial sunscreens because they are full of bad chemicals... there are some more natural sunscreens in the health stores but the texture is not very friendly. Theres always the possibility to make your own sunscreen with zinc oxyde powder mixed with whatever body cream or oil you use on your skin. You can get that powder in specialized health store and ask for instruction. When I know now I have to spend a long moment outside in the sun, I wear loose white summer pants, and try to minimize skin exposure with cloths. Its actually more comfortable and less hot than to have the sun frying directly the skin. You can always use an umbrella or a large hat. I sometimes use it depending on where and with who I go lol.

Thanks ladies. Lady Organic, I'm glad we rarely get hardcore sun here in the UK, but you are right about the light fabrics being cooler. You may be interested in an Organic Sunscreen I use over here (not sure if you can get it over there), it's called Yoah. They do a factor 15 or 30 and I find the 30 pretty powerful seeing as I'm fair skinned. It's also the only one on the organic market I could find that doesn't white you out or feel greasy and is only £8.99 GBP. : )

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have noticed that here in NY, being out in the sun does not appear to have any adverse reactions...in fact, my skin issues have cleared up a LOT this past month since I have been outside as much as possible.

HOWEVER - I have noticed on two seperate occasions - once in the Bahamas, once in Florida - where my sun exposure caused me to break out in a rash! I think there is that much of a difference in the sun strength to cause this....never had an issue in the past that I recall.....

Chica,
I was on biologics for 15 years (Remicade then Humira). I was never told about the sun sensitivity. I'm not a sun worshipper but I did go tanning a hand full of times at the beginning of each summer.

I developed allergic reactions to the Sun when I was on Remicade or Imuran, I still have a strong sensitivity after being off both of those for a few years. My skin will hurt if the sun is strong that day, I also get bad headaches from the sun or just a general ill feeling.
Laying on the beach and tanning isn't a good idea but if you are just walking around town just use sunscreen and maybe a hat, or if you are having an outside social event try to sit on the patio- absolutly NO tanning! The sun causes damage on a cell level so even if it seems ok, it probably isn't.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Thanks ladies. Lady Organic, I'm glad we rarely get hardcore sun here in the UK, but you are right about the light fabrics being cooler. You may be interested in an Organic Sunscreen I use over here (not sure if you can get it over there), it's called Yoah. They do a factor 15 or 30 and I find the 30 pretty powerful seeing as I'm fair skinned. It's also the only one on the organic market I could find that doesn't white you out or feel greasy and is only £8.99 GBP. : )
thank you, I will look it up on the internet and see if I can make it deliver to Canada. i got the ingredient to prepare my own, I've just been procrastinating on that project, makes me want to try it today or tomorrow:ycool: thanks and have a good trip! where do you go in Cuba? I ve been to Havana, cayo coco and Cayo Guillermo. Cayo Guillermo is heaven on earth, its the most spectacular beach I 've seen in my life.

nogutsnoglory

Are you serious? I have been tanning 15 min daily without sun screen to get vit D3. I go in and put sun screen after so I don't burn. I never heard of TNF increasing. I figured this was the best way to get D and to bypass GI tract for absorption.

I am super pale, anyway, so I cant bath in sun. My skin always feels sore after extended time in the sun, always has. I don't generally tan, I just get a few freckles.

Lady Organic

Staff member
Are you serious? I have been tanning 15 min daily without sun screen to get vit D3. I go in and put sun screen after so I don't burn. I never heard of TNF increasing. I figured this was the best way to get D and to bypass GI tract for absorption.
Its true its good to get some sun for Vitamin D without sunscreen when possible, but prferrably early in the morning or late in pm when the rays are mild. A 20 minute exposure daily would be enough, but I never just lay down in the sun, tanning. I just walk outside. I do not take Vitamn D supplement in the summer. Most of our medications can make us more sensitive to sun. The key is not to panick but just to be more careful than before, especially limiting prolonged exposure and mid-day rays. of course sun allergic or hypersensitity reactions must be handled differently with total block.

Lady Organic

Staff member
well one thing for sure it creates free radicals, just like a physical trainning would do. To counter the bad effect of free radical it is advised to eat very oxydant food 2 hours prior to engaging these activities (Well for sports that has been studied that antioxydant can counter free radical formation in DNA cells) . I personnally extrapolate for sun tanning and other scan x-ray test as well.

A friend who is a highly published dermatologist in the uk just emailed me this, hope it helps:

The statement makes no sense. Any damage releases cytokines and TNFalpha has mixed effects on skin DNA repair (Dan Med Bull. 2010 Oct;57(10):B4179).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21040686

All immunosuppressives predispose to skin cancers. AZAthioprine is by far the worst. Consecutive treatments appear to have an additive effect but that doesn’t apply to you. The message is avoid excessive sun exposure, if you're going dark pink or worse its too much, but enjoy life.

nogutsnoglory

Not getting safe sun exposure puts us at risk for many cancers too though so it's a wash. I'll continue to get my D3 from the sun since supplements aren't the same.

Hm...I'm on 6mp and Remicade and I'm normally indoors, but about two weeks ago I was out to go to a coin show and the sun was bright that day. A circular spot showed up on my cheek from no where. It didn't itch but it was very strange