• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Influx of Internet "person shit themselves" posts

Has anyone noticed this? With the Internet and people feeling the need to document their lives I've been seeing a lot of posts about people "shitting" themselves during activities. The articles are written making fun of these people and then people repost them either laughing or saying something uncalled for. Today it was a post about a Florida football player who had an accident during a game, a high school cheerleader having an accident during a cheer, a girl who had an accident while filming herself tweaking ect. I don't find these videos or articles funny, these people could be struggling with crohns or colitis and they are trying to make the best they can, still trying to live their lives...

all I can say is I've been in their shoes. I've been the girl in the store running to the bathroom and not making it. I'm a little worried that one day I'll pop up with the headline "mom shit her pants while in the grocery store" anyone else seeing these "funny" stories popping up?

DJW

Forum Monitor
Written by people who have no idea. I've been there and my heart goes out to those people .

Where are you reading these stories? Is it just people on your Facebook/Twitter/whatever posting them so they come up on your news feed? I can't say I've come across many online, but am all too aware of the stigma all the same. I mostly only heard jokes about elderly "demented" people needing nappies, when I was a teenager I wasn't even diagnosed and had no idea that anyone else my age was losing control of their bowels. My very unhelpful GP told me that one in three people suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome at some point in their lives, and I remember thinking that I hadn't noticed one in three students running to the school bathroom, only me.

Now I have a diagnosis that people take seriously (they should take IBS seriously, but no one seems to) and a stoma, and that somehow makes it more socially acceptable. People don't joke so much about stomas, because all the surgery and everything makes it serious. If you see a "funny" story, respond by telling them about all the medications people with IBD take, all the surgeries they have to have, all the risks of bowel perforations and obstructions and the increased risk of bowel cancer. It might stop some people laughing.

I just saw one of these on my news feed on Facebook, it made me cringe. It was the one about the Florida football player. I don't know why anyone would think these stories are anything but cruel.