• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Info about remicade

Hey everyone!
I am going to start Remicade next week hopefully and have been talking with my GI about it. Something new that i learned today is that taking Cyclosporine while on remicade can help the body from forming antibodies against the remicade which means you can probably use it for a longer time than most. I have been through the remicade forum, but still had a few ?'s:
1) how well has it worked for you, and how long before you started seeing the affects?
2.) humira vs. Remicade I know that humira comes from human, and remicade from rat proteins, but if you have taken both, which is the way to go?

Thanks!

I am on remicade, haven't tried humira. But the remicade has been workin great! I am on methotrexate (immune suppressant) with it. When I was first started on remicade, it worked great, but seemed to fade out around week 4 or 5, so my doctor doubled up my dose and changed me to every 6 weeks instead of 4, (forget now which we did first) but that combo of double dose and every 6 weeks has need working great for over 3 years now!! I wouldnt say that things were back to 100% but definitely tollerable!
Since them I have been slowly trying to figure out my diet and think I have it pretty hammered down now, and I don't think things could be better!
Hope it works for you! Be sure to let us know!

I was on remicade for 6 months and I felt great the only time I felt back to full health. I wasn't able to go onto an imunosuppresant like 6mp and aza I have had bad reactions with them putting me in hosp. After 6 Months it stopped working my symptoms started coming back and then I built up anti bodies to it. But I would still recommend trying it if you have the chance just because of how good it made me feel, and I would love for other people with crohn's to have that feeling I did.
I am now on humira I inject at home using one of the pens I have only been on it for about 5 weeks and I am slowly making improvements I hope it will eventually make me feel like I did on the remicade. A lot of people say it is painful but I don't find it to bad little bit uncomfortable but everyone is different.
Wishing you the best of luck whatever you choose x

I am coming up on my one year remiversary in March. I am still in remission since starting it. I get it every 7 weeks. I love how much that remicade helps me.

I havent tried humira yet and I wont until the remicade stops working. From what I have read on these forums it seems that remicade works better and for longer periods of time. Thats just what I see though.

Yesterday was my 1 yr anniversary. I 've done great on it for the 6-7 weeks after the infusion. The last week or so before my next infusion I can feel that its about time. Mild cramping and such. I am due for my next one. but I'm waiting on Remi-Start to approve me again so I haven't been able to set up my next one.
I have been able to cut my missing work down better then half of what I was missing.