• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Infusion tomorrow but have swollen lymph node?

About 10 days ago, my Daughter was put on an antibiotic for a skin infection behind hear ear. The infection has cleared, and she has finished the prescribed dosage of antibiotics. She did get a swollen lymph node along with this infection in her neck below her ear. she still has it, and we're told it can take awhile to go away.

Tomorrow is her next Remicade infusion. Will this pose a problem, or will they likely not be concerned?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
As long as she doesn't have a fever or any other sign of infection, I don't see it being a problem.

(I'm heading for my next infusion in about an hour myself... )

Well, they wouldn't give her the infusion today because she's still on antibiotics. She only has one more day, but they've rescheduled for 2 weeks from now.

Is this extra 2 weeks an issue between infusions?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It can be, what schedule is she normally on? 8 weeks or shorter? I'd try to get her in sooner, especially if there is any sign of symptoms starting up as she gets closer to a normal infusion date.

In your original post you said she had finished the antibiotics...but she didn't? I don't think I have had to deal with getting an infusion while on antibiotics, but have gotten one shortly after finishing...

Yes, I was mistaken on thinking she was done the antibiotics. She will done them tomorrow. I am abit worried about the extra two weeks. She's on every 8 weeks now.

Yeah two weeks is a long time. My infusion place says 3 days post antibiotics if they aren't given by the Remi prescribing doc. If they are by the same doc that prescribes Remi you can have an infusion on antibiotics at my place.

I would try and get it moved by by a week.

I'm in Canada, and here I think it's an availability issue. I asked the co-ordinator if 2 weeks was an issue, and she gave me a flat out no. Not sure that she's overly concerned though. I will email her, and ask for an earlier infusion date just the same. Can't hurt to try.

I'm also in Canada. And I have gotten Remicade within only 5days notice before the appointment. The pharmacy should be able to ship it fast enough and how can your infusion center really not have any space within 2 weeks. Is there another infusion center close to you that you could see if appointments are available?

I just emailed the co-ordinator, expressing my concerns with a 2 week delay. I asked (very nicely) if we could get her in within a week, if there's any possibility. Hopefully she'll co-operate.