• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Injecting Cimzia

I know that there are some out there who inject their own Cimzia. After waiting to get over an infection, I am finally ready to start. The company doesn't have a nurse who comes to my area to train (at least that is what I am told), and I'm headed out of town for the rest of the week first thing in the morning and would like to take the Cimzia along and start before returning home (I didn't think taking it the night before a long solo drive was a good plan). This schedule will also allow me to take my next dose while out over Christmas Break.
I have two syringes per dose to inject (the ones with the funny grips) and I have heard they are thicker than injecting the Humira. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I am going to be starting Cimzia soon. I was told that my doctor will be giving me the dose, especially in the begining. I hope all goes well for you!

It's really not hard at all. But Im still surprised they don't have anyone to show you how. That sucks. It does come with some good directions though, so you'll be fine. The most important thing is to make sure you let it warm up before you inject it. Take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you start. Always clean the site (I use my upper thigh) with the alcohol swabs. Insert the needle at a 45 degree angle, don't forget to let go of your hold on your thigh. I always forget to let go because I'm so intent on injecting myself. Each injection takes about 30 seconds I'd say. You do one in each thigh, never use the same leg for both shots! You can't make it go any faster because it is a gel-like substance. It really doesn't hurt at all and I don't feel any different the day I do it. Sometimes I get achy and tired the day after, but sometimes I feel perfectly normal. Definitely read the directions and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

It wasn't too bad... but the needle kept coming out. The medicine is so thick, you really have to keep the pressure on. Started yesterday. D worse today, other than that I feel the same