• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Insomnia

Hi,
I had a small bowel resection almost 3 months ago. Since then I have developed some really severe insomnia. In the few weeks following my surgery I couldn't sleep, mainly because of the pain. Although, now that my pain has subsided, I'm still having problems. I usually get in bed between 11-12, and am almost always up until past 3am. Also, I wake up pretty much every hour and rarely feel like I get into deep REM sleep. Sometimes, when I lie in bed, I constantly feel the need to shift positions. This is starting to really affect my life, as I have a pretty demanding job that is tough to do on 4 hours of sleep, I am also tired all the time.
I have considered the mental contributors to this problem, however my levels of stress/anxiety/depression were much worse before my surgery than they are now, and I never had problems sleeping back then.
Does anybody else have this problem? Any good advice? I'd like to avoid taking sleeping pills if possible. Thanks.

-Greg

Do you have a sense of what keeps waking you up?

I know after my surgery, even after the pain subsided I felt uncomfortable laying down. My insides felt like they weren't sitting right. I had a hard time getting sleep for quite a while. I don't feel like that anymore and I can sleep through the night again. I still have a hard time falling a sleep, but I think that has more to do with stress than anything else for me.

Kev

I didn't experience any deterioration or improvement with my sleep post surgery. I did notice that, no matter how much sleep I managed, I never woke up refreshed or rested. In fact, the longer I stayed in bed, the worse I felt getting up in the AM. I blamed this on my age, on the quality of my bed (altho it was very high quality). I held onto this 'belief' until I started on LDN therapy. One of the benefits of LDN for me was a complete turn around in my quality of sleep (tho sleep disruption is a reported side effect of LDN). Based on that experience alone, I 'believe' that our disease has an adverse affect on our sleep cycle. I've no definitive proof, and have not seen any studies to back up this belief. I feel that it is so subtle a change, so gradual, that it mostly goes un-reported, or is generally attributed to side effects from our various meds, or stress related due to illness. I think anyone who experienced first hand what I did on LDN would tend to accept or agree with my personal take on the situation.