• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Interesting read at NYT about nurture.

It is an interesting article.

I totally disagree with the statement "A good counterexample is E. coli, a species of bacteria that lives harmlessly in every person’s gut by the billions."

Harmless my butt! Some strains are at the root of Crohn's in my opinion, and the opinion of some researchers.

Oh well, I did enjoy the rest of it.

Dan

Kev

Very interesting... The business about 'persisters'... or the 'bursts' of activity. and the e-coli that thrive on lactose... sitting alongside those that can't exist on it.

The diversity of a colony... And Dan, c'mon.. The author went on to say how e-coli can attack humans... "E. coli’s quirks can be a matter of life and death for us, as well. Some strains cause infections in the gut, the bladder, the blood and even the brain." I think that initial statement was to imply that E-coli, existing in 'everyone' ... isn't ALWAYS a killer... or a cause for concern. That it can exist harmlessly in lots of people. Then he goes on to say that for some folks, many of us... an e-coli colony CAN be a problem. I think, overall, his comment is fair.

Anyway, IF e-coli is at the root of crohns, which it may well be, the thumbnail sketch provided in this paper seems to correspond to a lot of the things we do experience.. like flares... or the fact that I have a problem with lactose others on here may not have. or how a person can have a remission, then fall back into this disease (those damned persisters).. All in all, very interesting reading.

Yeah, I know what he meant. I just hate E-Coli. I never thought I could hate a bacteria, but one variety caused me a lot of trouble.

We have trouble with pathogenic E-Coli in some of our lakes due to bad septic systems. It really is a bacteria that is all around us, and in us at all times.

The genetic aspect is kind of an eye opener.

Dan

Kev

Well, I wouldn't exactly invite E-coli over to dinner either (problem is, it's probably already there)... Hate is such a strong emotion... and I've always been a fellow who thunk that negativity only breeds more negativity... That 'live N let live' was the best course. But, if these lil beasties did this to me, I could take pure pleasure in wiping them out. Problem is... I don't know how practical/feasible it is to 'wipe' them out - they seem to have a nifty defense strategy... And, I wonder if, just if, maybe the 'good' E-coli (if there is such a thing) or just the 'passive' ones... don't somehow contribute something of a positive aspect to our innerds that 'modern' medical science just don't know yet

Like, the whole 'appendix' issue... doc's didn't know what it did, so out it came at every opportunity. i'm wondering if there isn't some symbiotic relationship between some E-coli and our GI tracts that these geniuses haven't figured out.
Like, pre disease.. we seemed to be able to live in harmony with the lil buggers
I'm guessing the rest of the world has them too.. there could be more to this.

I dunno... maybe i'm just a superstitious ol fart, aged to a point where hes' now afraid of the boogeyman... or the e-coliman..