• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Internal hemorrhoid removal

I went in to see about getting some hemorrhoids removed after I was told I had several and needed to get them removed. I went in to see the surgeon and he said they would remove the internal ones, but the outer ones were not hemorroids, they were skin tags and he would not remove them because it is too painful. Anyway, they removed the internal hemorrhoids, but the reason I went in didn't get better from their removal. I was also told internal hemorrhoid removal was painless and I did not get any sedation for that procedure. Long story short, it was AWFUL. The nurse finally told the doc he had to stop. My blood pressure spiked and I was shaking the pain was so bad. Maybe most people don't have nerve endings in the area he was removing from, but I, apparently, do. It felt like the bowel was spasming each time he banded one (he did five) and after each one it was spasm on top of the previous spasm and it never relaxed. Well, I guess it finally did at some point after the two large percocet....... It hasn't even been a year yet and I think the ones he removed are back. Fat lot of good that did. If I have to have them removed again, there WILL be sedation. And that is that.

So, has anyone else had this done and had to have it done without sedation? Did it cause you a lot of pain even though we supposedly don't have nerve endings in the colon?

KWalker

Can you tell me what an internal hemorrhoid feels like? I'm currently dealing with something under the skin down there and it feels very hard and lately has been feeling like it's got lots of paper cuts when I go to the bathroom and I'm pretty well relying on numbing cream to make it through the day. However, this spot underneath feels like one big one rather than a bunch of something. Was yours like that?

Also, I know your frustration with them coming back. I had two pretty serious abscess surgeries back in November and again in December of 2011 which I'm still waiting to fully heal. I missed 2 months of school, spent 11 days in the hospital, tons of pain, etc and just as this one is getting better, now I have this new problem. It's been said by quite a few people that once you get these, they're likely to return again and again but this is terrible! To me, problems like what we have are so much worse than stomach pain, or nausea

Oh, and when I first had an abscess cut a few years ago the doctor tried cutting it in the ER office and it was easily one of the most painful things I've ever felt. I made him stop and left and dealt with the pain of the rest that was un cut. He told me that it would be so fast that I wouldn't need freezing because the relief afterward would be huge. WRONG! I'll never get that done again without being put out.

I am sorry you are suffering with hemorrhoids, I feel your pain. I have had them for years, and they bothered me a little bit but not bad enough to say anything. With this current flare up (6 weeks) going to the bathroom is SO PAINFUL I wish that I could avoid it at all costs. My GI doc gave me some Lidocaine Jelly as well as a strong Cortisone cream and said that if these didn't help enough he would band them. Have you tried things like that? Reading your post makes me very worried about that.

My doc said something about fissures....not sure what that is. I also find the whole topic embarrassing. My husband knows a tiny bit, but it is just so yucky to talk about. My three kids have no idea. They are 14,11 and 4 and do not want to know about their mothers tush. But, sometimes I can barely sit or walk without grimacing. Ugh.

Anyway, I will take your advice and get some kind of sedation for banding. I hope you find relief, and if you do please share it it!

Feel good.

The only real issue I had was bleeding. They told me the bleeding was from the internal hemorrhoids. I have pain with BMs, but that is mostly in the anal area due to fissures. Maybe there is some pain due to the hemorrhoids.......I guess there are such sharp pains associated with the fissures, maybe I don't notice the pain of the hemorrhoids getting "scratched" open time and again. My Crohn's leans towards the constipation side, so my BMs are definitely not soft/liquidy.

KWalker -- I did not have hard areas near the anal area. Mine were about five - six inches up inside and were found on a colonoscopy. What you are describing kind of sounds like the abscesses other people have described, but I have never had one of those, so I can't say for sure. If I remember right, I had internal ones for many years and they were always mentioned on the colonoscopy report. The only reason I went in to get something done was due to the bleeding I was getting from the outside area being opened due to fissures and the external hemorrhoids which I found out from the surgeon were not hemorrhoids, but skin tags and he wouldn't remove those. So I still have the same issues I went in to get fixed, but I am, or at least was, down a few hemorroids which didn't change a thing. Basically, that surgery was for nothing. The skin tags are making it somewhat difficult to get completely clean there as well and my rigorous wiping is causing fissure issues. It's like a vicious circle sometimes.....

I also deal with what I think is a hemmoroid, one might God bless my husband he examined my tushy after a painful bout and found what I can only describe as a small scrotum sack sticking out of my butt. He took pics for the dr and he said I had huge hemmy's what to do nothing. They gve me some steroid suppositories that did nothing. I really hope to avoid surgery but I hunk that is my next options. The first dr that saw it cursed when he saw it, that's just how big this thing is. I can't even describe the pain. I think brain surgery without meds would be easier.