• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Internal stitches

how long do they take to dissolve fully,i can feel one or two that are a wee bit annoying,one actually popped through my wound but was not able to pull it out,hope they dont end up causing infection if they dont dissolve properly...

annawato

Staff member
I'm not sure how long they take Hainman. My community nurse said they often slowly make their way to the surface where they will cause a lump and/or sore. It is possible they could cause an infection but only if there are bugs there to latch on to them. They should be sterile themselves. I know the ones around my stoma I pulled out when they came out easily - on one side a couple disappeared very early which is probably why I have such an odd shaped stoma now. I didn't remove those myself - probably just fragile skin from pred that they were supposed to be holding the stoma to.