• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Interpreting results - B12, Liver enzymes, celiacs

Hi

I had blood tests done the other day and got the results back this morning.

The nurse said my B12 levels were very low, that my liver enzymes were raised and that I'd tested positive for celiacs.

I understand celiacs obviously, but the B12 and liver enzymes are a bit confusing to me in terms of what they mean.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Heather

Catherine

With b12 what was level and what range.

As they have said the b12 is a bit low, have they advise any treatment?

Low b12 can effect the production of red blood cells.

SarahBear

I'm a little late to this and you've probably already figured it out, but...

Raised liver enzymes can mean a lot of things, but it can be caused by Celiac's and IBD. It sounds like that's just pointing you in the direction you're already going. But, elevated liver enzymes can also be caused by simple things like Tylenol use, antibiotics, and alcohol consumption. Do you know how high they were?

:hug: I hope you get your answers soon, Heather.

David

Co-Founder
If you have Celiac disease, that can actually cause the B12 deficiency. Or there can be a separate cause of the B12 deficiency. Anything from not getting enough from diet to Crohn's disease interfering with its absorption to medication interfering. It is definitely a clue for your doctor though and they want to make sure that they get your level up as soon as possible. One of the most common signs of B12 deficiency is fatigue. A common sign of prolonged B12 deficiency is numbness and/or tingling in your extremities.