• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing foods to my diet

R

ruthymg

I have for some time now, tried to eat more fruit, but just can't get used to it. Its not that it particularly disagrees with me, its that I just don't like the flavour/texture very much. I've also found that some fruits, grapes especially, are just too sweet (I'm not a big sweet food eater). So, I have tried the odd smoothie and thats been ok, but the thing is, late at night, usually around 10 - 10.30 pm, I get really hungry (think the stoma doesn't help, but to be honest, I have always had late evening munchies)Anyway, the smoothies don't really fill me and I seem to be eating loads of bread lately to try and fill me up and slow my output down a little and I'm becoming concerned that thats really not good for me. I also feel bloated quite often, not surprisingly. Anyway, I remembered earlier this evening, that as a kid, I used to eat banana sandwiches. Bananas are good as they are slow releasing and full of potassium, plus they're fruit (obviously) but I can eat them this way - strange I know, but I just think they are really hard to get down on their own. Now, this seems to have filled me, but I come back to the same problem - too much bread in the day. So, I wondered if anyone has any helpful hints and tips on snacks that are quite filling - don't worry if they normally keep you awake, food doesn't keep me awake, hunger does. I also had a yoghurt earlier as well, thats really good for me. On the whole, I do eat healthily, but there are a few things missing from my diet that I really could do with eating, like fruit and yoghurts or probiotics. Any advice would, as usual be greatly appreciated.

Ruth

C

carolinajak

probiotics have helped me out a lot. i eat a lot of yogurt as well. i eat Canadian bacon (lean ham slices) a lot, egg whites with lots of different concoctions, and my two favorite foods are bananas and peanut butter. they are a pretty good snack together at night. sometimes ill slices a banana vertically and load some PB in between, a little messy sometimes. and of course putting the two together in a smoothie is one of my favorites and quite filling. although i have been off of dairy so haven't had that recently. thinking about substituting egg whites for milk in a smoothie, an idea i got from the egg white packaging, not sure if that is appetizing yet or not. i also eat a lot of mango, cantelope, kiwi, and drink a lot of 100% juices. you might try some different melons. they seem to be less sweet to me sometimes.

I also feel very hungry at night, and if i don't eat I cannot sleep and feel my Crohn's acting up. The best foods I found I can eat at night are bananas, yoghurt and rice cakes with a little honey. I also sometimes drink with them a hot cup of Chamomille or Anise...

My dietian sad that I should go on the RAB diet.
Stands for Rice Apples and Bananas which I try to do. Plus Iv'e added VSL#3 and Floastor which are probiotics.I tend to stay away from Pork even though I love Bacon. So I basicly eat hamburg meat and roast beef. I added yogourt to my diet about a year ago.
Did you no that Florastor has 250mg of yeast per sachet in it. And also says that it is used for diarrhea. Florastor restores the balance of "good"and "bad" bacteria in the intestinal lining;decreasing abdominal discomfort,gas,bloating,and gastrointestinal disorders.
Thats good to know.
See now Ruth you can eat some fruit where as I can only eat bananas and apples.If I drink apple juice I'm running to the tolit.
I would suggest to you is get some Probiotics it dosen't hurt to try

R

ruthymg

Thanks for the replies guys, theres some really good ideas there.

Ruth

R

ruthymg

Or cheese and crackers and I discovered I have some Ryvita crackers which are really healthy, those with cheese or even pate would be good . . . . .ok . . . now I'm hungry again . . . . .

Ruth

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I recommend penut butter and banana sandwiches, and also putting some cut up fruit in your yoghurt. This will mask the texture of the fruit (if you cut it into smaller chunks and have it covered by the yoghurt) and it can be quite filling.

If you can not eat nuts, I find that any nut butter (I have had penut and almond) butter is usually filling. Anything with protein is usually filling.

Also I sometimes find that just drinking water is enough when I am not that hungry to keep me satisfied. I do not know how much water you drink, but there is nothing wrong with drinking a bit more :).

C

carolinajak

agreed, we all often confuse thirst with hunger. try drinking a lot of purified water throughout the day, 8-12 servings, and see how your hunger adjusts. once i started drinking around 4-6 liters of water a day, my hunger was non-existent. when i don't keep to this my hunger increases sharply.

great point mike.

R

ruthymg

Thats a good point guys, as I know I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should. I intend to add to my long list of to do things, a water purifier. This is purely because I can't stand the taste of tap water, its gross, but I actually don't think bottled water is that bad. I figure if I can purify tap water its got to taste better right??

Ruth

R

robert.k

ruthymg said:
Thats a good point guys, as I know I don't drink anywhere near as much as I should. I intend to add to my long list of to do things, a water purifier. This is purely because I can't stand the taste of tap water, its gross, but I actually don't think bottled water is that bad. I figure if I can purify tap water its got to taste better right??

Ruth
I find purified water tastes better. I'm not familiar with what brands are used over on your side of the ocean, but here in Canada (and in the US too, I think) a popular brand of purifier is 'Brita'.

C

carolinajak

I have a water cooler in my house, where they deliver the 5 gallon bottles. I had one the last place I worked and couldn't survive without one when I moved. Tap water down here in NC has too many minerals and I do not dig the taste. the minerals tend to cause a lot of kidney stones and the like around these parts. I'll take my slightly more expensive bottled water, thanks. But as far as I know if you can stand the taste a brita or other filter may do. Or you can just make a lot of tea.