• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing ME!

Not sure if I was supposed to start a whole new thread here, but here goes....

I'm 29, was diagnosed about a year and a half ago but have been suffering from symptoms for 5-6+ years. I was finally diagnosed with severe fistulizing crohns and perianal disease. I've had a few colonoscopy's, my most recent being in September of 2012, after which I was told my crohns was in remission but I was now suffering from IBS.

I've been on Remicade since December 2011 and after about 5 infusions my dosage was increased and I am now getting infusions every 6 weeks (as appose to every 8 weeks). I have found that the only real changes/improvements I have noticed are the following:
Remicade has definitely reduced the daily (hourly) pain I've felt from my crohns, but hasn't really done much in the way of decreasing my bathroom trips or shortening the time spent in the bathroom. But, I'm definitely happy about having less pain.

The other notable change was the choice to quit smoking. I felt incredibly better by the third day of not smoking and I haven't looked back once. I would say that not smoking was the biggest contributor to how I feel now verses 2+ years ago.

Currently I feel I'm struggling with loneliness and depression. I often cry myself to sleep at night thinking of all the things I'm not doing at my best. My work has definitely suffered, as well as my personal relationships with friends and family. I've been married since October of 2011 and it has not been the dream I had imagined, and I feel a lot of that has to do with my condition and how I'm dealing (or not dealing) with it. I have a very hard time being active and social now, often avoiding social situations because of my condition (which I'm sure is nothing new).

The months leading up to my official diagnosis I had lost quite a bit of weight, coincidentally I had changed my eating habits and thought that it was working great! Until I found out I had lost all of the weight because of my untreated crohns. So since my diagnosis I have gained back 60+ pounds and I'm at my heaviest that I can recall. This is also extremely frustrating for me.
I've spent a lot of time trying to find diets, food plans, etc...that would help me get on the right path to feeling better and that's what brought me here. Also, I'm just looking for other people who are in the same situation as me so that I might form bonds or at least have someone to relate to.

So, if you've made it all the way through this post, that's amazing and I'm sorry I've been rambling for so long. I almost feel as if I've found someone to talk to already just from typing this all out :)

Everything will be fine. I too struggle with depression from the guilt I feel. The guilt of not being the wife, the mother, the friend I want to be. Don't give up. It took me six months to come to grips that these people are in our lives bc they want to be so let them help when you are having a bad day. Realize there is nothing u can do to change crohns all we can do is change how we let it affect us!!!!!!!

I am sorry your having a hard time. I have trouble with depression too. Maybe it's just all
part of our disease. I hope you find relief soon.

Lauren

i stuggle with depression and guilt, i have had to cut my working hours which in turn means my daughters can have everything i want to give them, i do get to spend more tine with them tho which is very nice.

You are not alone i would love to say its gets easier but i have been suffering for 4 years and i have only got worse.

Welcome to the forum East Coast Crohny! This disease definitely has its challenges but know you're in good company. I've also suffered from depression and isolation and had to leave my job which was very hard for me. I had to basically reevaluate who I was/am/and who I'm becoming and it's still a hard process. Please know you're not alone and we're rooting for you!

(And welcome, too, BigK!)