• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing myself. first post

Hi everyone, my name is Jim I'm 27, have had Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis since I was 13, my brother also has the same disease. So I have been dealing with this for more than half my life.

I was in remission mostly to the power of Remicade for about 10 years, until I was kicked off my family insurance plan when I turned 26. I was able to get the Remicade free, but the nurse fees just to administer the IV were just too high every 7 weeks so I had to stop getting it. From August 2013-February 2014 I lost about 60-70 lbs without the Remicade. I got very, very, very sick.

When I finally got healthcare through the Affordable Care Act, I saw my Dr. the day after my coverage was effective. He wanted to put me in the Emergency Room that night. We agreed I'd admit myself the next day, which I did and resulted in a 6-day stint in a local hospital. Many many tests and procedures, 2 units of blood, colonoscopy, endoscopy later, etc. I was discharged weighing about 110 lbs. I usually weigh about 165-175 or more.

Since my discharge however my weight has gone DOWN to 101, and my Dr. even wanted to put me back in the hospital, which I am not opposed to. I hate feeling like this and I just want to get better no matter what. My Dr. wants to see I can gain some weight and start to fight off the inflammation before I go back on Remicade as it is a very powerful drug.

I'm just frustrated with the lack of progress I'm making at home. I try to eat but I have little appetite, even on the Prednisone I'm currently on. It's almost a chore to eat but I know I have to in order to put on some lbs.

Anyways, glad to make this first post and I guess I'm just looking for any words of wisdom or advice anyone may have on their own journey with IBD.

Thanks for reading - Jim

Last edited:
Hey Jim
A big warm welcome to the forum - glad you found us. It sounds like you have been having a pretty hard time of it :-( Quite unusual too that you don't feel like eating much on the Pred. A lot of people, myself included, ate like a horse. Are you on a high dose?
I am just wondering if some of the liquid diet supplements, like Boost and Ensure might help until you get your appetite back? While in the hospital, I didn't have much appetite for a while after the surgery, and they gave me Fortisips which were pleasant and apparently quite nutritious.

I second the liquid diet. It really helped me get through some bad times. When on Prednisone I had an appetite that scared me. Seriously. I am on Remicade and wish I hadn't fought the doc for so long. The stuff is a miracle.

You know the liquid diet may be a big part of it. At the hospital they were feeding me everything in sight, even things I didn't ask for they brought! I had a steady supply of boost and ensure. I haven't had nearly as much since I've been home. Feeding yourself a constant supply of food all day by yourself is more of a chore then simply pressing a button and they bring you whatever you want at the hospital.

I will order some more Boost off Amazon right now! I think I'm down to my last 2. Thanks for the advice!

nogutsnoglory

Sorry to hear about it. I was in the same boat not too long ago but gained a lot of weight after starting Remicade and getting an ileostomy. It's really hard to gain weigh but I found dairy and carbs really helped me put it on.