• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing Myself

I am a 34 yo female and was diagnosed nearly 13 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my only son. In the course of those years I have undergone multiple tests of colonoscopies, barium-chugging X-rays (my favorite flavor being strawberry-banana), CTs scans, MR Enterogrophies, blood work, and fecal samples. I have been hospitalized more times than I can recall for obstruction scares, requiring an NG tube. I have had three surgical resections near my terminal ileum in the last 7 yrs. I have had 7 different GI doctors and 2 surgeons over the years, as we are a former Navy family and moved around.

In the past, I have been on Asacol/Pentasa, 6MP, Entocort, various dosages of Prednisone. I was hospitalized in a psyche ward, after my 2nd surgery in Dec 08, for Prednisone induced psychosis, for a week.

Currently, I love my surgeon but hope I do not have to see him again for a long while. My GI is hoping I will start Remicade IV treatment with a methotrexate booster, taken once a week. As of now, after just recovered from my 3rd surgery (Oct 25th), I am taking no meds. I am waiting for my appointment to be made for my induction treatments.

Funny Crohn's story: One Christmas, my fiancé was on leave and visiting me from across the country (we had a long-distance engagement). I was in the ER for an obstruction and a nurse tried telling me that I was pregnant, :eek: much to my horror! I had been faithfully chaste and hadn't seen my fiancé for almost a year. As she tried to reassure me that these things just "happen", I screamed, "Only if your the Virgin Mary, they do!" She personally came to my hospital room to apologize that the result was invalid. I was a blessed girl that my man believed me the whole time. His only concern was that they administered narcotic pain relief before they checked for pregnancy.

I am happy to be a part of the Crohn's Forum and do not know why I haven't joined sooner. It would have been nice to have a support group to lean on and encourage during these tough years. As of now, I feel great after getting a most recent "tune-up" and hope my remission will be a long one.

That is a great story, since it had a good outcome for you - good thing your man is trusting and supportive! I work in health care, and one thing we learn early, is to leave the diagnoses to the doctors. I've seen more than one person get into trouble for sharing information or offering opinions.
Welcome to the forum and we're glad to have you along for the ride!