• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introducing myself...

Hi there.. I'm 35 from MA. Just recently at the hospital for for what I thought was appendicitis and ended up being bowel obstruction and "possible" Crohn's.. Since my 5 day inpatient stay, seeing my PcP and waiting for the appointment to the referred GI, it's been the waiting game for a full diagnosis. I've also been in the hospital another 2 times due to pain and tenesmus. At this point, a few weeks in. I'm at the point I don't even wanna eat, my BM or lack there of, are burning my insides and I've been so depressed. Like literally crying all the time. I've read the low-residue diet, upset about not being able to no longer eat foods that are good for me, and at this point I just don't wanna eat cause I don't wanna be in pain. I'm currently on carafate and protonix. Is anyone on any additional meds to help with appetite or pain? Anybody ever in the same boat as me? Thanks for listening!

So sorry you are in such pain. Just remember not everyone experience CD in the same way if the tests come back that that is what you are dealing with. Many are able to eat veggies and the like after their diagnosis especially when in remission. Other don't find a correlation between what they eat and the pain they experience.

Back when my son had symptomatic flaring he would resort to more low residue foods as the doc mentioned. Others find it easier to drink otc nutrient shakes like Boost or Ensure or ones from the organic section (organ maybe?) Some even make their own.

Most find remission and are able to add back foods they may have had to avoid. I hope you find relief soon.

Welcome. Like Clash mentioned, protein shakes might be an answer. I hope the doctor can find the right mixture of medicine to give you relief.

Welcome to the forum.Sending good vibes your way and hopefully they get you feeling better.Being stuck in the hospital in pain and not wanting to eat is the worst when that happens to me I've found it easier drinking something like Boost or Ensure so I have something in me when I can't bring myself to eat.

I've had a bunch of obstructions over the years and just a couple months back I had one caused by scar tissue from previous surgeries.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I've been hospitalized twice for obstructions and inflammation and my doctors usually give me Percocet for the pain. After my hospitalization last spring I was even on extended release morphine for a while. Did they see inflammation when you were hospitalized (did you get a CTE?). Are you on anything to help with the inflammation? It's really hard to be in diagnosis limbo when your body isn't working the way it used to. When I'm feeling really bad I drink a lot of bone broth since it has a lot of protein (as well as shakes, water, etc.). Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to see a GI; Boston has no shortage of doctors! My GI is in Cambridge, but there are plenty of good GIs in Boston.

The low residue diet isn't terrible to follow. I was on it for a year before I had a resection done. My symptoms lessened while on the diet aside from following the diet I started to eat smaller portions. For me I had a lot less discomfort after eating when I ate smaller portions.

Once I reached remission I was able to eat the raw vegetables again.