• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction and support search

Hello,
My name is Caitlin and I've had Crohn's symptoms/secondary diseases since age 11 (pyoderma gangrenosum and arthritis), diagnosed Crohn's at 17 (2001). I've been very lucky in how well my disease has been managed since then. Having a bit of a resurgeonce right now and being reminded of how serious this illness can be. Just had a colonoscopy and endoscopy yesterday complete with biopsies. It looks like surgery for an ileocecal valve stricture may be in my future.
I'm a little overwhelmed by the fairly sudden switch from no meds/limited symptoms back to many meds/many symptoms and surgery looming. I decided it was time to seek out some support. Hopefully I'll be able to offer some back as well.

Thanks so much!
~Caitlin

Hey Caitlin,

It can be exceedingly lonely with this disease, because no one really knows how it feels unless they have experienced it. Especially, when you are in a position where you can't take part in many of the activities you used to. I hope that the surgery goes well and puts you in a better place.

I am sending positive thoughts your way.

I got sick with crohn's when I was 12 and after about 5 years of mostly living in the ER/hospital I had a period between ages 18 and 22 where I was off all meds and back to living my normal life then I got a really bad stomach flu and soon my CROHN'S was back and in a 2 year period I had 7 surgeries the last 10 or so years have been fun with multiple blockages,arthritis and I'm still recovering from a bad case of PG.

So it really stinks when you get sick then have a good period of returning to normal and then it's back to the illness controlling life.I send you my best wishes and hopefully this is just a brief period of unpleasantness.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support!

I think some of the struggle is definitely the switch from being healthy for so long, to being so sick again seemingly so fast.

It's looking like surgery is not going to be the next option. Which is good, since surgery is always invasive and a longer recovery. The just sitting around waiting for meds to kick in is harder than I thought it would be. I've never been this incapacitated. My husband and I adopted three special needs sisters from foster care last year, we have 5 cats, I work full time outside the house and he works more than full time in the house. This is never convenient for anyone, but sitting around unable to do anything is extremely hard for me. I appreciate the response/support I've gotten here. It makes things a little more bearable.