• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction-new and curious

Hi all. Im new here and have been diagnosed as having mild Crohn's for approximately 24 hours. I have been struggling with abdominal pain and tummy issues since I was about 18 ( I'm 42 now) For reasons I wont go into here, I just never pursued getting a diagnosis for my stomach trouble. This past year or so has been a doozie for me. It all started with all over body aches, left hip, back, hands. I actually thought I had lupus or RA. I went to the doctor at that point and found my vitamin D levels pretty low (11 I think at that time). Of course I went on the once a week big dose and 2,000 IU daily. After almost a year of that, they finally came up to normal and I backed off the weekly big doses and stuck to the 2,000 iu daily dose. In the meantime I started having abdominal pain. Not constant, but everytime I went to the bathroom. Constipation is my main symptom, and I do get D usually about 1 time a week. It finally got to the point I was ready to mention to my dr. I went and told her about my stomach pain and she checked a bunch of labwork. I should back up and mention I have a history of thyroid cancer. I have had a Total thyroidectomy about 5 years ago. My thyroid levels going out of whack are kinda scarey for me. So she checked my labwork and my tsh was high (which is bad, we want it low because of my history). I had missed a few doses, but nothing to make it as high as it was. Also, my vitamin D levels were in the toilet again. So, she increased those meds. She also did an ANCA panel which came back suggestive of crohns. OK, I saw my GI and he ordered a CT. Normal. So yesterday we did the colonoscopy which showed mild crohns in the terminal ileum, mild diverticulosis in the sigmoid colon. I'm a nurse so I know some about the disease, and I have been lurking here while awaiting my c-scope. I guess I just wanted to say hello, to say I am so relieved to have answers. And I would love for some people to point me in good directions as far as diet, taking care of myself. Knowledge is power! Oh, he put me on Entocort yesterday, 9 mg daily. I see him on Monday.I'm sure we will talk of other meds then. Hi y'all!!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear your DX. Knowledge is power.

I'm no expert on diet but there are people in this community who are. So I will send you my support and hope you find remission soon.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome BlueEyes

Have you checked out the nutrition and fitness section of the forum? You may find it helpful.Good luck!