• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Introduction

Hi, my name is Sarah. I'm 24 years old (Diagnosed at 23)
I have Crohn's disease of the colon.
Here is my story if you would like to read :)

Basically in about March 2015 I developed these painful ulcers in my mouth that just kept coming back. Went to 5 different doctors and a dentist... A few gave me a prescription for orabase and told me they'd clear up. One doctor told me it was iron deficiency. The others told me it was because of stress

I took iron supplements and started eating gluten free products. Iron supplements were horrible as soon as I became constipated with severe abdominal cramps. I could not stop crouching at work and it felt like someone was stabbing me. By this time my ulcers were worse - about 20 to 30 inside my mouth.

Night sweats occurred, my sheets, pillows and doona were absolutely drenched. I woke up every 2 hours to find I was sweating like a pig and had to have a shower all the time. I wasn't eating anything but yoghurt and custard because my ulcers made me feel like I was chewing glass whenever I ate. I was sleeping constantly, I recall having slept 72 hours once only getting up to go to the bathroom, shower and try to eat.

On my 23rd birthday, I was admitted to hospital where I stayed for 2 weeks with IV fluids and an iron transfusion. I don't think they believed that I couldn't eat though cause the nurses kept feeding me meat and vegetables :/ I couldn't talk - I had to write down what I wanted to say. My mum came down to visit me and gave me the best soup I downed that whole thing, I was starving! I went from 50kg to 41kg.

After a colonoscopy I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. It feels so much better when you know exactly what's wrong with you. I was put on 50mg prednisone. After the prednisone was done, I was put on 25mg 6MP and sulphasalazine.

Eventually 6MP made my white blood cells low so I was asked to just take sulphasalazine. Same thing happened unfortunately. After being pretty much on no medication for a few months, I was given Budesonide 6mg. Doesn't really help much :(

Thanks for reading :)

Welcome. I am sorry for all you are going through. I hope they can find the right mixture of medicines for you. Please keep us updated.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum! Definitely press your doctors to make sure they stay on top of your care. Being so young you will want to get on medication that will get you into remission before too much damage is done in your GI tract. This forum is a great resource. We know what you are going through:rosette2: