• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IntroductionandAdvice

Hello everyone,
This is my first trip to forums, so forgive me if I ramble. So, heres my story: I was diagnosed at 17 with Crohn's--I was suffering terrible bouts of diarrhea, weight loss and incessant hemmroidal pain. After getting on Asacol HD and correcting my diet, I have been in remission for four year. I am now 21. Little background information: I attend college and am majoring in Chemical Engineering; I hope to graduate within the next year. I have a wide interest in the subject of chemistry, and I see myself in either the petroleum industry or pharmaceutical industry. It bewilders me that almost every physical inanimate object is made of million of different polymers that undergo initiation and termination reactions that eventually yield a final product that we all find useful. I am also passionate about the reduction in CO2 gases produced from power plants. As an undergraduate job, I've helped with research studies that explore processes that take CO2 gas produced from the burning of coal and introduce it to certain chemical reactions that change the chemical structure of the gas, leaving it as a harmless by-product. While there is a long way to go in solving this issue, my life goal is to pioneer a solution to this problem. I also would like to pursue my MBA eventually. I am very passionate about bodybuilding and health, and even with a debilitating disease such as Crohn's I've built a 225 pound frame with around 10% body fat. I know this is an introduction, but I would like to share what has worked for me, in hopes that it will help at least one person out there. After the initial scare of my diagnosis, I began an obsession with learning about diet and exercise. Long story short, this is what has worked for me: absolutely no fried food or chocolate--they cause an immediate flare up with me and I've learned to avoid them; I am very cautious with vegetables--I do them for the nutritional value but I limit them to 2-3 of my meals throughout the day. During my flare ups, I stay away from dairy and cheese, but since I've been in remission I don't find they bother me at all. In addition, I take a joint support to deal with the aches associated with Crohn's, and it seems to help me; I also lift heavy weights so it helps with that also. I agree with the popular notion that everyone is different, and there are trigger foods for everyone; however, I think if most people look at the meal they are about to consume and logically ask, "Will this food hurt my body?" the answer to that question will solve a lot of issues. I find the gym to be very soothing to me, although I know you all have different circumstances and constraints that constrict your ability to exercise. From a mental point of view, I find strengthening your mind in all facets helps with overcoming this disease. The uninformed person looks at us with pity and believes that we are limited in what we can do. SCREW THAT. Read books, explore different topics, learn about different cultures; in essence, do things that advance your mind, because no amount of diarrhea, excruciating stomach pains, or resection surgeries can take your mind away. If anyone wants to ask questions, I'll be more than happy to help you with anything. I have a deep spot in my heart for all of you--old and young--who suffer from this painful disease.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Welcome to the forum LG01

You have a lot of passion,that's great. Have you checked out the fitness and nutrition sections of the Forum? It is true,we are all different. The only consistency,at times,seems to be our differences.I hope you continue to do well.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community! I hope you're able to succeed with your graduate pursuits, they sound really exciting!

See you around :)