• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Inulin, Glucosamin and other supplements

• Thread starter Deleted member 431298
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 431298

Hi all.
I just listened to a talk from a berkeley conference panel on antibiotic therapy as utilized in gastroenterology/ where one doctor (Dr. Borody) recommended some supplements which may feed some beneficial bacteria that in turn help mucosal healing.

Starting around 5:30 minutes into the video he mentions some kind of inulin and baneficial bacterium.
I have trouble understanding some of the words he says :) will someone with better ears help me out:
- what is the name pf the beneficial bacterium? Sounds to me like “fickli bacterium graw snitsi” but that is gibberish ;)
- what type of inulin is mentioned? Sounds like “apopicting” inulin, which again is gibberish.
- next he mentiones NAG which he also calls “N-acetylglucosamine”

Help deciphering this would be appriciated ;)

emmaaaargh

Staff member
I had a listen to this and I'm able to help with some of it.

The inulin isn't a 'type' of inulin, rather, it's a list of supplements believed to assist in the growth of bacteria: he said "apple pectin, inulin and NAG" :). These are listed in tandem here https://centrefordigestivediseases.com/the-cdd-donor-diet/. I googled the three together after hearing it because I wasn't sure of what I was hearing, but now I'm sure that that's what was said.

The beneficial bacterium I wasn't able to identify, except that I caught "supplements that grow your faecal bacterium" and then the gibberish-sounding part. You could write to HumanPara and ask if they could maybe upload a transcript? Then you'd know for certain! Anyway, hope I could help a little :)

Scipio

I didn't listen to the tape, but based on your phonetic guessing I bet the bacterium he was talking about is Faecalibacterium prausnitzii.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
How fascinating! Thanks, Scipio. I'd never heard of this bacterium before and now I have some reading to do :)

D

Deleted member 431298

Brilliant :dance: Thank you emmaaaargh and Scipio for your help. Yep, got some reading to do too :)

Hi all.
I just listened to a talk from a berkeley conference panel on antibiotic therapy as utilized in gastroenterology/ paradigmpeptides.com where one doctor (Dr. Borody) recommended some supplements which may feed some beneficial bacteria that in turn help mucosal healing.

Starting around 5:30 minutes into the video he mentions some kind of inulin and baneficial bacterium.
I have trouble understanding some of the words he says :) will someone with better ears help me out:
- what is the name pf the beneficial bacterium? Sounds to me like “fickli bacterium graw snitsi” but that is gibberish ;)
- what type of inulin is mentioned? Sounds like “apopicting” inulin, which again is gibberish.
- next he mentiones NAG which he also calls “N-acetylglucosamine”

Help deciphering this would be appriciated ;)
I`m a nutritionist and inulin is a natural soluble dietary fiber and comes from roots of the chicory plant. This food ingredient is also called chicory root fiber and has significant, scientifically-proven health benefits. Inulin can be applied to develop tasty, healthy food products. Besides fiber enrichment, it can be used to replace sugar and fat while improving taste and mouthfeel. I advise you to buy something else, try peptides, they help a lot in muscle development and rehabilitation. After each strength training, try to drink one pill and you will feel the results.

Last edited: