• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iodene irrigation for anal fistula

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with a high perianal fistula.

I am considering irrigating my anus with Savlon iodene spray twice a day to see what happens. I fear this might lead to formation of granulation tissue withni the fistula.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,

What I would try is an old treatment that is not used much any more, but it is safe, and could be effective for this type of condition.

It works in a similar manner as a hyperbaric chamber, but is cheaper. The problem is not many doctors use it any longer.

UBI or photoluminescence therapy is not a household word any longer but one of its benefits is it helps non healing wounds to heal.

I do not know if it is done in the UK, but it is in Germany and Russia. It is done in the U.S. but not by many doctors.

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/uv_light/uv_light3.htm

Dan

I use an even older-fashioned treatment than Dan's suggestion. I used to be plagued by perianal (and vaginal) fistulas, and each time, I would hot compress the area three to four times a day, each time for about 10 minutes. All I would do is get a piece of flannel (a facecloth would do just as well) and a bowl of really really hot water and use the hot flannel cloth to press against the fistula. I would also call my GI and go on a 14 day cycle of antibiotics. These two things would basically fix my fistula right up (until the next one, of course). A sitz bath might also provide some relief.

Cheers,

Kismet