• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IQ and Iodine in WWII

Not IBD related, or a definitive study, but thought this interesting about the possible roll iodine fortification has played in improving IQ in America over the last 80 plus years.

With many people now limiting or even eliminating salt consumption, and lately reports of iodine deficiency goiters making a reappearance, thought to share.

"IQ and Iodine in WWII"

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2013/07/iq-and-iodine-in-wwii.html

&

"“Help keep your family goiter free”"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2009/05/help-keep-your-family-goiter-free.html

Iodine has to compete against dietary intake of other pervasive toxic halogens--fluorine, chlorine and bromine. Ensuring proper iodine intake (maybe Atomidine or clean seaweed sources) also protects against/reverses thyroid problems and hormonal regulation via various glands (pancreas/pineal/pituitary/thyroid/reproductive etc., endocrine system).

Fluoride levels are alarmingly high in many foods. Many pesticides are fluoride/aluminum formulas. Fluorine, I think, is the most reactive element which often binds with metals, compounding the biological toll when assimilated into the glands. Obviously, chlorine is in most water along with fluorine compounds. Bromide is used pervasively in breads.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041311_fluoride_exposure_foods_consumption.html

Last edited:
Iodine has to compete against dietary intake of other pervasive toxic halogens--fluorine and bromine. Ensuring proper iodine intake (maybe Atomidine or clean seaweed sources) also protects against/reverses thyroid problems and hormonal regulation via various glands (pancreas/pineal/pituitary/thyroid/reproductive etc., endocrine system).

Fluoride levels are alarmingly high in many foods. Many pesticides are fluoride/aluminum formulas. Fluorine, I think, is the most reactive element which often binds with metals, compounding the biological toll when assimilated into the glands.

http://www.naturalnews.com/041311_fluoride_exposure_foods_consumption.html
Interesting article. I wasn't aware of fluoride chemicals being used to irrigate many crops.

I've been taking iodine rich kelp tablets for a couple years at this point. This year I also began avoiding fluorinated enriched water. The foods I eat are likely low in fluoride. It would be hard to claim an increased IQ from doing this!, but suspect it helped improve my thyroid health some as I feel warmer.

I see on the sight today some are discussing body heat, feeling cool most of the time. I used to be that way - well still am somewhat. (I don't care for the cold as I'm finding out this chilly week!) The typical chilled feeling I remember seems less effecting. Hard to say if taking kelp tablets, and avoiding fluoride drinking water is what led to this improvement. I've been well to the gut more frequently this year probably due to dietary changes. I suspect that is the main reason for the improved body temperature - but who knows.

An iodine deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism, and that is typically associated with low energy levels, dry skin, low body temperature, and mental fog.

Looking quickly, a book I have about iodine gives a couple examples of patients that began supplementing with the mineral after testing low. They reported "dramatic" improved energy, improved concentration, and sleeping better through the night.

An article I recall about iodine deficiency in the west.

"UK study highlights iodine deficiency problem"

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/04/14/uk-study-highlights-iodine-deficiency-problem/

snippet from Dr. Briffa's article:

...I was thinking about this today while reading this health story on the BBC website which informs us that the majority (almost 70 per cent) of teenage girls in the UK are deficient in the nutrient iodine. The relevance of this to thyroid function is that iodine is a critical nutrient for proper functioning of the thyroid and production of thyroid hormone. Iodine deficiency is well known to cause enlargement of the thyroid (known as a ‘goitre’).

I remember learning in medical school that goitres were common in places far from the sea where little iodine-rich foodstuffs (such as fish and seafood) are consumed in general terms. This concept came flooding back to me some years ago when I was lecturing in the US and was staying in a hotel which was also inhabited by teenage girls from a (I think) girl guide like organisation based somewhere in the mid-west in the US. I remember remarking to a colleague that every single one of these girls appeared to have a goitre.

If iodine deficiency is so common, could it be contributing to the ‘obesity epidemic’? We may not know the answer to that question for sure, but I think it’s fair to say iodine deficiency will not be helping. And anything that impacts of thyroid function won’t just impact on weight, either, remember. The BBC report makes the point that iodine deficiency can impair brain development in the foetus too....