• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron, Aza and Life: a funny ol' week

So the other week I started taking mega-iron tabs. Well they certainly hit the spot as I had the best day in months. But... they really upset my tum, and I'm still a bit 'loose' and definately not back to normal a week after stopping taking them. I was getting horrendous stomach ache and nausea so off to my GP I go, who gave me some PPI's - which turn off your stomach acid, which fixes gastritis. He said I should improve dramatically even after only one tab. It did indeed fix the stomach ache, but not the nausea. So yesterday I phoned my Gastroenterologist for advice. The conclusion of which is that I'm off the azathioprine and start 6-mercaptopurine at the end of the week once I've had break and nausea is cleared up.

And today I have felt soo much better! I still have a little bit of stomach tenderness which only really manifests itself when I walk fast! As well as the nausea the aza made me feel just horribly unwell. Some days I slept a lot in the day, felt better overnight, and then deteriorate again the next day after taking it in the morning. My blood tests were however fine, apart from a transient potassium blip.

And life... well I think this disease stinks and I'm fed up of it. Can I try a different one please?

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Well all I have left for you to try is Bamphilia.
You walk around like you own the joint, growl and bark in my face but run away at the sight of your own shadow, and have awful, awful gas (so that part isn't different from Crohn's).
There's a lot more that goes with it, but I wanted to see if you'd like this kind of responsibility before I go on lol