• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron deficiency and infusions

Wondering if anyone has to have regular iron infusions?

I received a phone call from my IBD nurse yesterday, in a flap because my latest blood results had come back and I was in urgent need of an iron infusion.

Miss piggy (my Stoma) has just turned 3, so I an assuming that in that time my iron stores have run right down, and not been replaced with dietary iron as I am not absorbing it.

Anyway I'm waiting to hear when I need to go next week to have the first infusion.

Over the last couple of months I have been exhausted, sometimes to the point of tears. I told my boss I was going to resign as I was too tired. On top of this I have sat out of my last couple of softball and hockey games, as I have too puffed when I run. I was just thinking I was too unfit. Also been getting crazy head aches, body aches and dizzy spells.

Has anyone else had any experience with crohns/ surgery related anemia?
I'm also feeling a bit flakey and forgetful. I had to write a tender submission last week, and could not find any of my words when trying to put it together.

Thanks
Janette

I had anemia before surgery (because of ongoing bleeding and low food intake). It resolved after surgery, but I was on the brink of needing a blood transfusion.

Are you currently supplementing? Taking any meds that could interfere with absorption?

Hi Vegan,
None of my mess have really changed much. The IBD nurse did say that my Crohns was what was causing it, which seems odd, because my disease activity is low now and has been over the past 3 years. Well by blood tests anyway. Will have to eye if I can get anymore info from my local doctor.
Thanks.

I have had Crohn's related anemia. I am usually tired. At least twice in the last fee years, I have had to have infusions twice.

I have an ileostomy (for 3.5 years), and have had to get iron infusions a few times in the last couple of years. I had been taking iron supplements, but they didn't help. My iron deficiency is not surgery related -- it most likely is due to the anal/rectal fistulas that have also wormed their way through my fallopian tubes/uterus area, as well as perianal fistulas I have going on. I'll be getting surgery to remove my rectum and anus and hoping that will help with the fistulas and iron depletion.

Have you talked to your GI about whether your Crohn's is present in another part of your body that's potentially causing the loss of iron?

Kismet