• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron IV treatment

I had my first iron IV session today. It went well with no side effects. I'm hoping these infusions will help my fatigue. Four more sessions to go over the next few weeks.

I had my first iron IV session today. It went well with no side effects. I'm hoping these infusions will help my fatigue. Four more sessions to go over the next few weeks.
I'm going to see a Hematologist at the end of the month.

What form of IV Iron did you get? A couple people on this board have recommended Iron Sucrose as the best as far as potential side-effects go.

I've been eating liver for about four days a week and usually cook my meals in a cast iron pan.
Oral Iron did not work out at all: It aggravated my Crohn's Colitis a lot.

Have you felt any improvements in your energy levels yet?

I do feel more energy, but I wonder if it's a placebo effect. I've been told it takes a couple of weeks for the IVs to raise the hemoglobin. I didn't have any side effects like headaches.

The nurse took a blood sample for iron measurements before she put in the IV. I guess each time they will measure my hemoglobin/ ferritin, iron saturation. My next infusion is next week. I'll report back if my measurements change.

My GI prescribed five Iron Sucrose infusions. I'm in Canada, so didn't see a Hematologist. The nurse told me that all of the GIs direct the infusions to be slowly given over an hour, with a saline flush that takes 30 minutes (to watch and see if there are any reactions.) Nurse also said that the other doctors send their patients in for infusions that take less time, but there's more chance of a allergic reaction.

I've been eating more meat and trying to eat vitamin C or citrus with meals to up the iron absorption. & I didn't realize that calcium could block iron. I've been more careful not to take calcium supplements when eating meals. Eating liver is a great idea. I don't like straight liver but I've got a really good chicken liver pate recipe and I've been meaning to make it.

I do feel more energy, but I wonder if it's a placebo effect. I've been told it takes a couple of weeks for the IVs to raise the hemoglobin. I didn't have any side effects like headaches.

The nurse took a blood sample for iron measurements before she put in the IV. I guess each time they will measure my hemoglobin/ ferritin, iron saturation. My next infusion is next week. I'll report back if my measurements change.

My GI prescribed five Iron Sucrose infusions. I'm in Canada, so didn't see a Hematologist. The nurse told me that all of the GIs direct the infusions to be slowly given over an hour, with a saline flush that takes 30 minutes (to watch and see if there are any reactions.) Nurse also said that the other doctors send their patients in for infusions that take less time, but there's more chance of a allergic reaction.

I've been eating more meat and trying to eat vitamin C or citrus with meals to up the iron absorption. & I didn't realize that calcium could block iron. I've been more careful not to take calcium supplements when eating meals. Eating liver is a great idea. I don't like straight liver but I've got a really good chicken liver pate recipe and I've been meaning to make it.

Thanks very much. With Crohn's there can be multiple causes of fatigue: Anemia, the energy used up because the GI tract is inflammed (I just learned this), food allergies or intolerances (e.g. dairy and/or grains for some), the stress and/or depression IBD can cause, malabsorption of vital nutrients (in my case, I have not been able to digest much of the fat in my diet), the side-effects of medications;For me, my Entyvio infusions have caused on and off flu-like symptoms including fatigue.

It makes sense the iron and nutrient depletion would cause a lot of side effects. I hope the infusions work out and your iron stores go back up! I've been having headaches and exhaustion and racing pulse that all may have been caused by the anemia. (This Feb. a GP got very alarmed in the office that I might have a blood clot; she was surprised by the racing pulse. This was before the Crohn's diagnosis & before we knew I was anemic.)

I was surprised I was loosing blood in my intestines -- I had no idea I was anemic until a blood test in late April. I've been trying to eat iron rich food and take iron supplements. I'm hoping the infusions will get me back to that baseline of not being deficient.

I'm really hopeful about the IV infusions. I have been feeling a burst of energy, but it could be placebo effect.

Good luck with the infusions!!

I suffer from iron deficiency anemia and have had three iron infusions during the years 2014, 2017 and 2019.
In the weeks following my iron infusions, I saw improvement in your blood test results. I'm a runner and my times improve as my blood improves. As the weeks and months go by, my blood results deteriorate and my running times become slower. Can't say that I noticed any difference in day to day life but it sure made a difference with my running. Now I know why so many pro athletes do blood doping!

kiny

There's no one kind of iron infusion, we went from oral administration to new and highly complex intravenous formulations that are far more effective than those just a decade ago.

The newest formulations are much much safer, and therefore can be given in far higher doses and at much higher rates. But not all hospitals use them yet.

Infusions that took several hours in the past, can now be given in less than an hour with the latest formulations.

Iron infusions taking X or Y hours depends entirely on the type and it can vary greatly.