• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron Supplements

Was just curious if any one has taken Ferro-Sequels Iron Supplement? This is what my doc prescribed for me. The pharmicist said it has a stool softner in it and that if it causes me too much D then to call me doc and tell him to find something different.

Was wondering if anyone else has taken these and had any problems with them?

Nope, I take FeoSol. I had never heard of that, but I guess since iron can cause constipation, that might be a good thing, especially if it only a stool softener and not a laxative.

How often do you have to take them?

I only have to take them once a day! Only 1 more pill to keep up with :) They are 50mg caplets. Pharmacist said that it just adds water to your stool to make sure you don't get constipated, but he said it could cause me more D, but hopefully not!

Noticed in your signature that you are taking Florastor probiotics, do those work pretty good? I just bought some Align, but they are so freakin expensive!! $30 for a month!! Holy Cow! I want to find one that's cheaper but still works good.

Thanks for responding!

Nyx

I have to start taking iron now too....any advice on good brands would be appreciated here too :) Especially for people with ostomies...

I couldnt stand taking iron pills. It is ok now my doctor has said but when I took them a few years ago I felt so sick every time I took it that I just wound up not taking them after a while.

I've used the the Slow Fe before with no problems, but I'm not sure if you need something special for an ostomy. Ask your doc to prescribe something for you, that's what my doc did.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Ask for pharmacist for Ferous Gluconate. They're a lot easier on the gut.

They are usually green colored, as opposed to red like Ferous Sulfate.

Haha nice skinny! I'm actually taking their daily vitamins! Knew I could handle those so didn't even bother with the adult stuff :)

GoJohnny-The ones I'm taking are green. Been taking them a couple days now and they seem to be doing ok, haven't bothered me yet anyways! I'm taking them at dinner. Is there a suggested time that you should take them that would make them more beneficial or does it really matter? I figured dinnerr time was best, that way shortly after I could hop in bed if they started bothering me and then just sleep off the side effects!

nogutsnoglory

GoJohnnyGo said:
Ask for pharmacist for Ferous Gluconate. They're a lot easier on the gut.

They are usually green colored, as opposed to red like Ferous Sulfate.
My ferrous sulfate is gray also while gluconate is supposed to be easier on the stomach it did nothing for my anemia whereas ferrous sulfate fixed it.