• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron use

Hi All,
So I've started taking iron supplements. None of my basic blood work has resulted in any hint that I'm anemic but given some symptoms I'm beginning to wonder. None of my doctors has ever checked iron levels directly even though I've asked several times.

So, that said, I've decided to take 65mg a day. This isn't the slow release stuff AFAIK and so far it hasn't upset my belly at all. My biggest question is, if I am not anemic, what things should I look out for to ensure I'm not over dosing?

Hi Drew, I just started iron today as well, but my tests show I am anaemic. I was concerned about the stomach thing but have been fine all day so hope I can take them well.
I guess there is always a possibility that tests are not spot on. Though, also the symptoms of anaemia are similar to lots of things. I have no idea if one can overdose on iron pills but I am sure someone here can help you.
Hope they make you feel better - I hope they make me feel better too!
Shaz

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
How did you decide to take 65 mg?
(This is a whole bunch of copy/paste from like 10 diff websites, but hopefully I can sort it out so it makes sense somewhat.)
Recommended daily dose is 15mg with a max of 17. More than 20mg can cause stomach upset, blackened stool and constipation.
The first thing an overdose will do is irritate the stomach and digestive tract, sometimes causing bleeding.
Overdosing with iron can have severe and irreversible effects: from hepatic disorders to cirrhosis, tachycardia, arthritis (by depositing iron on the knuckles), sterility and impotency. Excessive use of iron leads to constipation, throwing up, abdominal pains.
The first effect of iron overdose is irritation and ulceration of the stomach lining. Which in turn can results in nausea, abdominal pain and vomiting after around 20 minutes of ingestion. When too much iron gets into the bloodstream, it goes to all the organs and can damage the stomach, liver, kidneys, lungs, blood vessels and brain.
Symptoms develop in stages and begin with vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Symptoms may go away in a few hours, then return again after 1 day or later.

Overdose symptoms -
Airways and lungs - Buildup of fluids in the lungs
Gastrointestinal system -Black and, possibly, bloody stools, Diarrhea, Liver damage, Metallic taste in mouth, Nausea, Vomiting blood
Heart and blood - Dehydration, Low blood pressure, Fast and weak pulse, Shock
Nervous system - Chills, Coma (may occur within 1/2 to 1 hour after overdose), Convulsions, Dizziness, Drowsiness, Fever, Headache, Lack of desire to do anything
Skin - Bluish-colored lips and fingernails, Flushing, Loss of color from the skin (pallor)
Seems like you already have 10-13 of these symptoms, not sure how you'd tell if you were having an overdose, but since it can be dangerous and irreversibel - I wouldn't mess with it.

Elimination:
No physiological system of elimination exists for iron, and it can accumulate in the body to toxic amounts; however, small amounts are lost daily in the shedding of skin, hair, and nails; and in feces, perspiration, breast milk, menstrual blood, and urine.
It's not one of those supplements that you just piss out if your body has too much, so overdose can build up over time.
Average daily loss of iron for healthy male adults is 1 mg/day. If you are taking 65, and only lose 1, I would think you could overdose kinda quickly.

It can cause a builup of fluid in the lungs, with your lung history isn't a chance you should take. You already have vomiting, D, and ab pain.
Be careful.

I think it also matters on the type of iron... if its flat out iron, its stronger than say ferrous gluconate or ferrous sulfate. I think I take 2 325mg ferrous sulfate slow release iron pills a day. I do get the darkening of the stool, but I'm still anemic.

Have they checked your b-12 levels?? I'm sure they have... but that could be a fatigue issue.

I was anemic for years. Not bad, but always showed a little low on my blood work. I decided that I would get out my Mom's old iron skillet and start cooking in it. Since doing that, my blood work has been up to normal. Guess our grandparents were pretty smart, huh?

Ferrous Sulfate and 65mg cause uh that's what they had on the shelf? =p B12 is normal but dropped like a rock after I stopped supplementing.

Last edited:

Kev

Years ago, a friend of my younger sister became anemic, and the doc put her on iron pills.. which caused severe ulceration of her stomach and she quite nearly bled to death. Tho our blood system is iron based, we forget it is a heavy metal, and like the rest, can be extremely toxic in the right dose.

I just finished a 6 month foray into iron supplements, and it messed up my stools so much I really couldn't judge my internal condition until I came off them. It worked (but I'd also upped my red meat intake too), but I'm not keen on ever having to go back on them.

I just decided to stop the iron stuff. I took all my blood work for the past year, stuck it on a spreadsheet, did some calculations and research on the definitions and it looks like it's more likely B12 related versus iron related which is something I had been doing with sublingual B12 and then stopped it.

jackie

drew_wymore said:
Hi All,
So I've started taking iron supplements. None of my basic blood work has resulted in any hint that I'm anemic but given some symptoms I'm beginning to wonder. None of my doctors has ever checked iron levels directly even though I've asked several times.

So, that said, I've decided to take 65mg a day. This isn't the slow release stuff AFAIK and so far it hasn't upset my belly at all. My biggest question is, if I am not anemic, what things should I look out for to ensure I'm not over dosing?
I take 27mg 3x/day you will know when you have reached your limit when you stool turns black, back off a little at a time til it is just a dark brown.:hallo1: :sign0144: