• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is anyone being successfully treated on just Humira?

My GI Dr wants to add Humira to my 6MP. I would prefer to just take the Humira after a few months if possible and not be on combined treatment. Is anyone taking just Humira and doing well long term? I've been on 100mg 6mp for 18 years and have done well but have skin problems and flare about twice per year and have to take steroids. My Dr thinks flaring twice a year is too much.

I wouldn't be second guessing the combined treatment if I didn't already have major skin issues from 6MP. I feel like adding another drug is going to be worse. I would like to try Humira with the 6MP and then back of the 6MP to see how I do but he didn't seem to think that was a great idea. Ive never taken humira so I have no idea what to expect.

Never had blockages or surgery before.

I was on Lialda for about 9 years, then it quit working. I switched to Humira a year ago and it's worked great on its own.

Hey there, I didn't respond well to aza or 6mp.
I'm on Infliximb alone and have responded very well. I get a shot of hydracortizone and anti-allergy prior to each infusion to minimise reaction to the drug.

I believe from speaking with others GI will keep you on aza or 6mp for a while to avoid developing antibodies to the new treatment with a view to withdrawing the aza or 6mp over time.

Your GI should be better able to inform you, wish you every success
Steph

I also am on Humira alone for my Crohns and doing well, but have a lot of skin issues as a result.

A dermatologist calls it psoriasis, but its crusty patches that itch; pimple type things that burst; and spots that spread everywhere. I was prescribed a tub of something that helps knock them down, but it doesn't go away. A great bother.

I am now coming up on three months of Humira treatment alone. The good news is that I am suffering very little in the way of side effects other than a runny nose and having problems at night falling asleep and staying asleep. The bad news is that there is absolutely no improvement in the Crohns symptoms. It's beginning to look like I am spending $4000 a month for a dud treatment. As a medicare part 4 insurance subscriber, it is costing me much less than that but it pains me greatly (even more than the pain in my gut) to realize that I am spending my grandchildren's future on an ineffective medication. Is this the best that our super hiper-expensive medical science has to offer?

I am now coming up on three months of Humira treatment alone. The good news is that I am suffering very little in the way of side effects other than a runny nose and having problems at night falling asleep and staying asleep. The bad news is that there is absolutely no improvement in the Crohns symptoms. It's beginning to look like I am spending $4000 a month for a dud treatment. As a medicare part 4 insurance subscriber, it is costing me much less than that but it pains me greatly (even more than the pain in my gut) to realize that I am spending my grandchildren's future on an ineffective medication. Is this the best that our super hiper-expensive medical science has to offer?
Ask your doctor if you need something like azathioprine to complement the Humira.

I was on imuran for a long time and switched to humira in January and have been doing well! Recently been having issues with shortness of breath even though all my labs and tests and normal. Not sure if they'll want to switch me to something else or not but I have been doing well other than that on just the humira.