• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is asacol an immunosuppressant?

From what I've read it isn't but some confirmation would help. I started taking probiotics a month ago and they have helped but I read that probiotics and immunosuppressants can react negatively with each other, thanks.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Lucinda is correct, it is an antiinflammatory... but the probiotics I can help you with. According to a study done on www.VSL3.ca for UC is it sought that Asacol (Pentasa, salofalk...sister drugs) and high count probiotics are a good combination to keep flares in check.

I am on the VSL and so far hasn't done a whole lot but it helps. Everyone should be on some sort of probiotic, is natural and helps the digestive system and wards off yeast and some other autoimmune disorders.

Best kind are the refridgerated kind or even Activia yogurt if you can have that. Good luck.

I am on florasmart 6 billion. I'm about done with the bottle, I'll try your suggestion afterwords, thank you both of you.