• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is feeling lousy part of the disease when on meds

Hi all,
I am new here, I feel like crap. I'm on Humira and Imuran I take 3 pills a day and Humira weekly. I have burning eyes,body aches,tired,no energy and tough to get thru the day. Bleeding is frequent. Is this normal. I do not experience diarrhea.

theOcean

Bleeding is an indication of inflammation/ulceration and you should call your GI. They will probably put you on prednisone or entocort.

You may also have low iron or B12, but that's due to the inflammation. So you still need to call the doctor.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there.. I'm sorry you are feeling so icky, unfortunately, many of the medications for crohns can take a while to kick in and bring things under control, so we might still feel off for a while after starting them, also, a lot of them have side effects, one of which can be joint pain. How long have you been taking these medications?

Bleeding can be a sign of active inflammation, so you should let your doctor know about it if you haven't already done that. Make sure you get your vitamin and mineral levels checked out as well, there are all sorts of deficiencies connected to IBD, many of which can cause or exacerbate the symptoms that you are describing. Bleeding is never 'normal' but it is fairly common, and so is fatigue, so you do still need to contact the doctor.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there.. I'm sorry you are feeling so icky, unfortunately, many of the medications for crohns can take a while to kick in and bring things under control, so we might still feel off for a while after starting them, also, a lot of them have side effects, one of which can be joint pain. How long have you been taking these medications?

Bleeding can be a sign of active inflammation, so you should let your doctor know about it if you haven't already done that. Make sure you get your vitamin and mineral levels checked out as well, there are all sorts of deficiencies connected to IBD, many of which can cause or exacerbate the symptoms that you are describing. Bleeding is never 'normal' but it is fairly common, and so is fatigue, so you do still need to contact the doctor.

my husband is currently taking 2 shots every week. His doctor always finds what is best for him. It is not uncommon for them to change dosage etc. I would go back and see what can work better for you..... I hope you hear the word "remission " sometime soon. Keep your head up!