• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it a flare?

So I went off the prednisone March 16th and am now just on 100 mg of Imuran a day. I am still feeling pretty good and much, much better than I was, which is what is confusing me. I have no pain, fatigue, etc. which I usually get when I am in a flare. However, I will have relatively normal days (i.e. only one or two normal poops a day) followed by a few days of going about 10 times a day and it is a mixture of normal poops and diarrhea with a lot of mucus, yet I still feel relatively good, it is just an inconvenience really. What is wrong? Anyone had anything similar? I called by GI's office and the next time I go in for my Imuran blood work they are also going to run by inflammation markers to see what is going on, but any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi Maple Leaf Girl,

That pretty much sums it up for me too right now. My thoughts are that it could be worse. I am currently on Lialda and Imuran. I have just been taking it day by day, with no real intentions of changing my meds or anything. I'm not quite sure I would say I am in a flare, but I am not quite sure I would go as far as saying I'm in remission either, because to me, remission is being symptom free, and on those days when I am going to the toilet 10 times a day, I am definitely reminded that I have Crohn's! But I am not at a point where I have to drastically alter my life style to accommodate my Crohn's, so I can live with that.

Astra

Hiya Mapleleaf
Hiya Shady

yeah sounds like me too! it's weird, since coming off Pred, one day it's fine, the next, lots of D, but feeling ok pain wise. I'm suffering with a lot of joint pains tho, something I didn't really get before my major flare back in Jan.
And I think, yeah, it could be worse, I suppose?
xxx

Count me in the 'is it a flare?' group. I've been off entocort for about 5 weeks, taking asacol. I will be absolutely fine- no pain, formed poop once a day for a couple weeks, then, seemingly out of the blue, stomach pain that increases to vomiting. I take pepcid for a couple days and it's all 'normal'. I can't see what makes the pain come back or what makes it go away. Stress? Something I'm eating? Each time I'm afraid I'm going into a full blown flare. I started having light stomach pain, bloating and gas last night and I'm trying to decide what to do, besides not eat and stick to liquids and see if it blows over. (I hate vomiting!)

Lilly

Mapleleafgirl you just described my life - only difference is that I'm on Remicade and been off prednisone for 4 months. But since starting the new med, Remicade its coming close to a normal life in my opinion, hoping it will stay like this :)

/Uli

Hi PeninsulaLil, I had good results from avoiding dairy products completely, the pain, gases, bloating dissapeared. Remember your vitamin-D as well - works well.

/Uli

Chrismac

Best of British
Yup. Me too. I can go for one normal day and then 3 or 4 days of diarrhoea. It always varies.. for example for the first time in over a year I didn't poop in 3 days!!

Most people would think that a bad thing.. but for me as a Crohn's girl it's wonderful!