• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it Alright to Try for a Baby?

hi I'm 29 years old I have been married for 10 years my husband has had Crohn's for 15 years and it is not under control at all. He is currently on Cimzia along with a bunch of other medications I can I pronounce along with prednisone as well. We want to have kids but we have a fear of passing says Crohn's along to our baby and I'm hoping someone out there may have some advice for us on what to do and how to proceed. I also have a rare form of kidney disease but is only hits adults and as of right now its not life threatening so I'm not concerned about that and the baby but my husband and I both share the same fear of our child going through what my husband has to go through daily. If there is anyone out there who had a baby why they were or have Crohn's you get what I mean if you have any advice or anything at all that can help us would you please reach out. My whole life my husbands whole life since we were in 3rd grade we wanted to be parents. So if someone anyone can we should some light on what would be best for us please contact me I will leave my email address because I'm new to this and I don't know if I will be able to find this again my name is Shelly and my email address is safahmoe@gmail.com and I apologize if this did not make sense but everything on the screen is so tiny because it's on my cell phone but if anyone can help me please email me that was greatly appreciate it and so will my husband thank you so much have a wonderful night day whatever time a date is for you thank you so much for your help

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Shelly
I have sent an email to you but maybe you will be to read this post.
Hopefully you will hear from others with their experiences.
feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

So I still can't figure this forum out. So if anyone has amy words of wisdom please just post here on the forum. I couldn't find the email responses i got either. Please help me tell me where i can look for info into getting pregnant the risk amd so on. sorry if I've confused you all yet again like I said this is new to me did I would love some advice from anybody who has gone through what I'm going through right now with wanting to have a baby with my husband who does have Crohn's thank you.

Hi
I found this on the nacc website it has a lot of useful information sheet on pregnancy and fertility with crohn's.
Parents with IBD are slightly more likely to have a child who develops IBD. If one parent has IBD, the risk of a child developing IBD is about 2% for Ulcerative Colitis and 5% for Crohn’s Disease, although it may be higher in some population groups. That is, for every 100 people with UC, about 2 of their children might be expected to develop IBD at some time in their lives. For every 100 people with Crohn’s, about 5 of their children might be expected to develop IBD. If both parents have IBD, the risk can rise to 35%. However, we still cannot predict exactly how IBD is passed on. Even with genetic predisposition, other additional factors are needed to trigger IBD.

Hope this helps with the worry of passing on ibd. I have no one else in my family with any type of Ibd just me so it can happen even if both parents don't have the disease.
We are trying to start a family and if I ever do have a child and it turns out they have Ibd I will already know so much about the disease and know what signs to look out for.

Forgot to put it may be best for your husband to mention to his GI that you are trying for a family to make sure all of the medication he is on is safe for you to be trying. I had to come off methotrexate for 3 months before starting to try as it's not safe when TTC or during pregnancy.

AZMOM

I would talk to GI first too. Everything I've read says if one parent has IBD, chance for children having the disease is around 20%. Do some research and talk to the doctor though.....you have to be comfortable with what chance is out there. All that said, neither my husband or me have IBD, neither do our parents and we have a sweet girl with IBD.

I admire you for putting the question out there and trying to plan.

J.