• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is it Crohn's?

I think I might have Crohn's. I have been having issues for years, but it's just recently starting to really concern me. Starting at about age 28, I began experiencing some rather bothersome diarrhea. It would only happen about once a month, but it would last for 4-8 days usually. I had mentioned it to my GP at the time, but he just blamed on my poor diet. (Lots of fast food). I never really worried about it after that. I would still have the occasional diarrhea spell, but it could usually be linked to fast food and a little Pepto would take care of it. Then when I was about 35, I had a blockage. Without being to graphic it took about 2 days to pass, and it was extremely painful. Since the blockage I have had a bunch of new symptoms. It started with seeing blood on my TP. At first I just thought it was a boil near the area. I have had issues with boils my whole life. Then I started to see what looked like red threads in my stool. I kept trying to blame it on something I ate so that I could just move on, but it was constantly in the back of my mind. That is just something you shouldn't be seeing. It would go away for 4-6 weeks, and then it would start again. Usually it was just diarrhea, but sometimes with some blood either in the stool or on the TP and lots of pain and discomfort.

Now it's seems be progressing even more. Some mornings I see what looks like little bits of red paper in the bowl. Not liquid, definitely something else. It usually happens by itself. No stool and first thing in the morning. Then a few weeks ago I had some intense pain in my chest. It felt like it was behind my heart, so I started looking online at issues with the spleen. After lots of research and self-diagnosis I narrowed it down to "splenic flexure". The website noted the splenic flexure was a common occurrence with some forms of IBD and Crohn's which led me here. My half sister has Crohns. She had to have her gal bladder removed as a teenager. I don’t know why I never considered it before. I guess I just didn’t know what Crohns really was.
I don’t have insurance, and I am afraid that I may have to let my house go just so that I can afford insurance to deal with this so I have a few questions. Obviously I need to go the doctor at some point, but what really can be done? Does medication help? How much does medication cost? Is there anything over the counter that can stop this? Can I just narrow down the foods that cause it and avoid them? Is surgery needed in most cases? I appreciate your help.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Once you are able to see a doctor what will need to be done is tests to confirm whether or not you have something like crohns, if you have this and active inflammation going on inside the bowel then you will be given meds (usually steroids) to help combat this and then usually a maintaince med to keep the tum settled. There can be some trial and error finding the right one but once there it is possible to have everything settled and to lead a 'normal' life. Diet wise there can be some foods that can trigger an upset tum but this does depend on the individual and a food diary can help pinpoint your problem foods. It may be worth for now going onto a very bland and low residue diet to see if this helps ease your symptoms a little.

With regards to healthcare I take it you are in the US hence the need for insurance? I am not sure how things work from state to state over there but its there a possibility of going to a free clinic so you can see a doc to get some tests organised? I know with some of the meds used for the treatment of crohn's that the manufacturers offer some kind of assistance to bring down the cost but I am not sure which ones offer this but it is worth looking into if it does turn out you have crohn's.

I will be keeping fingers crossed that you can get some answers soon, please keep us updated on how you get on.

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. With what you describe AND the fact that your half-sister has Crohn's does make me a little concerned. Yes, you need to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist. A GP should be able to refer you.

Please don't put this off any further. Get evaluated. And please keep us updated as to how you're doing :)