• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is loop ileostomy really helpful?

Hi,it's been a month since I underwent colon resection surgery. Fortunately,my obstruction was only isolated in a small part of the large intestine, after resection I had problems with the healing of the wound so I had to undergo another surgery in the same week and got a loop ileostomy. After the stoma I am feeling really good and my recovery is also good. My surgeon adviced Me that the reversal of stoma will be done in a few months.
Since this is the first time I am getting a stoma everything is new for me, in a month I have managed to learn to empty the pouch and managed to change the bag regularly.
I wanted to know how good is ileostomy in putting crohns to remission?? After the reversal what are the things I must take care of?? Since my large intestine isn't functional now how long will it take For the body to get adjusted after the reversal?? Can I eat normally as I do having the stoma bag because with stoma I feel I can eat as any normal person.
Sorry for asking so many questions, I kindly need advice. Thank you :)

I am in the exact same boat! I had my small bowel resection in on June 26th and had complications with healing, had an emergency surgery for the ileostomy on June 30th. Now we're talking about reversal in Oct/Nov and all I can find online are horror stories. I feel better now than I have in years, and I am worried that I will relapse with the reversal. We shall see. I guess I know now that if I start to have complications, I can always get the ileostomy again...

I am in the exact same boat! I had my small bowel resection in on June 26th and had complications with healing, had an emergency surgery for the ileostomy on June 30th. Now we're talking about reversal in Oct/Nov and all I can find online are horror stories. I feel better now than I have in years, and I am worried that I will relapse with the reversal. We shall see. I guess I know now that if I start to have complications, I can always get the ileostomy again...
It's good to hear someone having been in the same situation I guess you know how it exactly feels. I underwent first surgery on September 22nd and second surgery on 29th. Due to which I lost lot of weight and my other parameters went really bad, so my surgeon said I might require the bag for sometime longer than other people maybe in the next 2 or 3 months I might get the stoma reversed.yeah, I also read some really scary stories of people after the reversal. I am just happy for now that I am able to eat normally with the stoma bag. The output is also normal but sometimes the output rate increases. Just keeping fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

I had my surgery in August and was back in in September with an infection. I am looking to have my ileostomy reversed in December as long as all goes well until then. I've tried not to read the reversal stories, I'm looking forward to having the reversal surgery but dreading the thought of a flare up afterwards. My surgeon said recovery will be quicker then recovery from the original surgery so I'm going on his advice.
Hope all goes well for you both!

fuzzy butterfly

Hi all i had a loop ileostomy 20mths ago. It saved my life in more ways than one. I also had it reversed in feb this year. Since then i have been great, can eat normaly, can sleep better, enjoy my life n have just recently changed jobs. It took me about 2/3mths to get my bowels back on track plus loperimide but here i am living life to the full. No flare ups so far n only on omeprazole, n questran coz i have bile salts malabsorbtion . So no horror story here guys :) . All the very best to you all ..