• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is Nicotinamide safe for Crohn's patients?

Does anyone know if nicotinamide(B-3) is safe for Crohn's patients?

I have had numerous skin cancers over the last 20 years. From what I understand Nicotinamide(B-3) has been shown in studies to help reduce squamous cell skin cancers when taking 2-500mg capsules twice a day.

I have Crohn's in the small intestines(jejunum) and would like to try B-3 (flush-free form) to reduce my chances of more skin cancer. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Crohn's patients being able to tolerate this supplement?

Thanks.

there are a few different forms of niacin and they are different. Nicotinamide made me worse, but nicotinic acid makes me better, it activates a gpr recepter that also is activated by butyric acid, in other words, its like taking butyric acid which is an anti-inflammatory compound made by intestinal bacteria. Nicotinic acid has been shown to supress colon cancer in mice, almost exactly the way fiber does. Intestinal bacteria make butyric acid from fermented dietary fiber. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24412617

I would say take higher amounts of vitamin d 2000iu all year long since it plays a major role in all cancers and will lower ibd symptoms. and increase carotenoid rich foods they accumulate in the skin and have anticancer properties. Melatonin plays a role in most cancers too and has shown pretty dramatic anticancer effects in human trials, montmorency cherry juice has the highest melatonin content of any food.

Thanks for the reply wildbill.

I've been taking vitamin d3 between 3000iu-5000iu since diagnosed last year with low d.

These squamous cell skin cancers have my concern, and since the dermatologist told me about the nicotinamide I was exited to think I could possibly cut down the chances.

May I ask if your crohn's is in the small bowel or large intestine, as the nicotinamide may have a different response? My chief complaint with crohn's is abdominal pain when having a stricture, usually brought on by certain foods/spices/stress.

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer.

Thanks for the reply wildbill.

I've been taking vitamin d3 between 3000iu-5000iu since diagnosed last year with low d.

These squamous cell skin cancers have my concern, and since the dermatologist told me about the nicotinamide I was exited to think I could possibly cut down the chances.

May I ask if your crohn's is in the small bowel or large intestine, as the nicotinamide may have a different response? My chief complaint with crohn's is abdominal pain when having a stricture, usually brought on by certain foods/spices/stress.

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer.
I have crohn's in both large and small intestine. To clarify, I used nicotinamide for crohn's and not for skin cancer, but I do know about that study that exists that showed benefit for preventing skin cancer.