• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is raw, unpasteurized honey safe for Crohns?

Hi,
My daughter has had Crohns for the past seven years. She wants to get a bee hive and eat the
raw unpasteurized honey. I was wondering if it's safe as there is probably a lot of bacteria in the honey.
I don't want it to start a flare. Has anyone eaten raw honey and has it affected your Crohns?
Thank you so much

I have Crohns and only eat unpasteurized honey. It has no effect on me, but I think it is very subjective. Maybe she could try a small amount first? When I say no effect, I mean it both ways - I don't see a positive effect either.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I use unpasteurized honey from local hives (my parents rent out space for a local apiary and get honey in return)..haven't noticed anything either way....

I have Crohns and only eat unpasteurized honey. It has no effect on me, but I think it is very subjective. Maybe she could try a small amount first? When I say no effect, I mean it both ways - I don't see a positive effect either.
Thank you for letting me know about the honey. I think that's a good idea about trying a little bit to see how it affects her.
Thank you

I use unpasteurized honey from local hives (my parents rent out space for a local apiary and get honey in return)..haven't noticed anything either way....
Thanks for letting me know. Well that's two people who have tried it without any adverse affect so that's good to know.
Thank you